Monday, December 2, 2013


How did this occur?  
I don't have an answer, I'm only providing the news.  UCLA and Mizzou were invited to play in the Las Vegas Invitational.  I'm unsure which came first the teams setting up their 
non-conference games or the tournament invitation.  In any event both teams won their scheduled games but neither was crowned champion due to their schedules.  UCLA and Mizzou are scheduled to play each other in two weeks, "they" decided the teams should not meet in the tourney.  Got it so far, hope I haven't confused you with this explanation.  Instead of a championship game "they":decided the teams would be co-champs?  I have no idea the makeup of the mysterious "they"!   

Bits n pieces
I’m convinced I could coach successfully against a Mike Anderson team. After witnessing his Arkansas Razorbacks lose to Cal I believe I have insight into Anderson’s playbook. Arrogant on my part, maybe but I had plenty of opportunity viewing his Mizzou teams from 2006-2011.

It’s still early however I must admit my Eastern Conference prediction might be on “life support” already. If you remember I stated I believed one of three teams would supplant the Heat as conference champs. Let’s see how I’m doing, the Bulls Derrick Rose is gone for the season--check one. Currently the Brooklyn Nets battling injuries reside in last place in the Atlantic Division--check two. The Pacers have slowed a bit since the beginning of the season but now remain my only hope.

A couple of notes of interest, the Houston Rockets are leading the NBA in scoring at 109.9 points per game; they are surrendering 105.6 points per game. Los Angeles Clippers scoring is 107.9 points per game; they yield 103.3 points per game.

I’m unsure of your view but I cannot remember a period when there were so many outstanding underclassmen athletes. We might assemble a team of freshman and sophomores and they could probably easily defeat a team comprised of upperclassmen.


I’m curious
Thon Maker’s story is worth a reminder to some and an introduction to others, Maker is 7 feet tall. This international student and basketball player was born in Sudan but immigrated to Australia. From that nation he made his way to U.S. to attend Carlisle School in Martinsville (VA). Maker is rated the number one prospect in the Class of 2016. Maker began playing basketball in 2010 however reports indicate his game continues to improve. There is little concern about his rail thin (210 pound) body. Coaches will work on his conditioning and diet over the next few years. The point of curiosity relates to his NBA draft status. Unlike Dante Exum (who’s also from Australia) I’m wondering if Maker s attendance in the U.S. changes his status. As an International player I wonder if he’s eligible for the draft immediately. I’m going to research the question and get back to you.

Basketball without Borders
I held a discussion with an acquaintance recently. He asked me about the emerging talent from the African continent. I informed he I believed it was due to the Basketball without Borders tutelage in the continent. I decided to research the question my friend raised; Basketball without Borders not only operates on the African continent but the Americas, Europe and Asia as well. *“ Basketball without Borders (BWB) is the NBA and FIBA’s global basketball development and community outreach program that unites young basketball players to promote the sport and encourage positive social change in the areas of education, health, and wellness. The top youth players 19 and under from Asia, Europe, Latin America and Africa, as selected by the NBA, FIBA and participating federations, will train under NBA players and coaches and compete against their peers. NBA players will partner with local community groups to lead daily life-skills sessions focusing on the importance of education, leadership, character development, health and wellness. To promote friendship and diversity, the campers are divided into teams without regard to race and nationality.” *NBA.com

He’s selfish
We have heard the criticism of Kobe Bryant over the last several days. This time it’s the last player contract he recently signed. I say player because I believe the Lakers will hire him in some capacity once he’s retired. The critics state; “why is he signing this contract, doesn’t he realize if he took less money it would allow them to maximize the teams free agent chase? “ My first question, your boss offers you a raise and you say, “no thanks you’re paying me enough.” Maybe you know someone I certainly don’t know anyone refusing a pay raise.

A secondary consideration the Lakers offered him this contract he could have demanded more money, Kobe made no demands. He didn’t hold the Lakers hostage he accepted the teams offer. As for that LeBron/Carmelo talk I don’t believe either was headed to Los Angeles anyway. According to the experts the Lakers have room to sign one max player, I have no idea who that is but the money is available. Lastly will Kobe win ring number six, I have no idea? This I know Kobe will finish his playing days as a member of one team.