Friday, February 28, 2014

Does the NBA remain in his future?
By the time you read this Jimmer Fredette might be history with the Kings. Seeing him play at BYU I wondered about an NBA career. It now appears the Kings will release him and he becomes a free agent. Can we say his career to date has been underwhelming? Somebody pointed out he’s played for three coaches in his three year career, difficult to adjust to the NBA with that much change. In addition the question on his defense, another fan pointed out J.J. Reddick was “lost“ his first few years in the NBA but has become a dependable role player. We shall see what the future holds for the former BYU shooter.

Bits n Pieces

Is he the next Yao Ming? Okay maybe I’m getting ahead of myself I could be wrong on this one. Draftexpress.com has Wang Zhelin from Fujian China listed as the number 57 pick in their 2014 mock draft. He’s a legitimate 7-foot and weighs in at 251 pounds with a 6 foot 11 inch wingspan.

I consider myself to have a sense of humor and enjoy a good laugh. Sometimes one’s attempt at a joke is flat as a pancake. A broadcaster last spring announcing the scheduled Wichita State game said; “I didn’t know Wichita had a State?” Maybe you see the humor in his statement I didn’t, I am aware of at least five city or area schools with State included as part of their name:

Jackson State (Mississippi)
Boise State (Idaho)
Chicago State (Illinois)
Portland State (Oregon)
Appalachia State (North Carolina)

I had picked the Warriors to emerge as Western Conference Champs. I am going to revisit my statement and simply say not this year. Maybe next season, they have not played as well as I expected.

Joel Embiid says he may not leave Kansas for the NBA Draft. Of course he’s making this statement in February, despite what you might believe I’d really like him (and others) to remain in school and enhance their game. As pointed out financial rather than academics are the decider.

Is this a good thing?
Fans of Kansas basketball can quite reading because this might appear critical of their program. That is far from the truth rather it’s an indictment of the other Big XII Conference teams. Last Monday evening Kansas beat Oklahoma securing a 10th consecutive Big XII Championship. More than likely the end of the regular season will see them reign once again as champions. How do they do it you ask, the Jayhawks have advantages.

The chief advantage might be their basketball pedigree; the second would be Coach Bill Self. Can’t anybody in this conference successively challenge Kansas? I had mentioned earlier I believed there would be a race for the first time in recent memory. I certainly was wrong, the contenders changed to pretenders. The onset of the season saw only TCU and Texas Tech as non-contenders the balance of the conference was supposed to be able to challenge Kansas.

Wanna know how old I am?

Old enough to remember highly recruited players would say; “I need to go to a school with their games on television.” That’s funny now to even think about in this day and age. The ESPN family of channels, Fox Sports, NBC Sports and CBSSports Network telecast the bulk of college basketball games. YES Network, NESN and TWC Sports Channel also are in the mix. On Saturday games begin at 11:00 a.m. Central Time and conclude with a 9:00 p.m. start time. Even NCAA Division II, III and NAIA games are telecasts to a regional audience. College games are now telecast six days a week, Friday evening is generally the only evening that excludes games. Really makes me feel old when I think about the comments once uttered by highly recruited prospects, everybody is on television in this age.