Friday, February 14, 2014

I might have missed on this one
Late December or early January I pronounced an end to the Big XII Conference race. Point guard and cohesive issues for cropped up early in the season for Kansas. Increased Big XII competition appeared to detail a wide open race. As we progressed into the conference season opposition began to stumble (see Oklahoma State, Kansas State). In addition Kansas team play improved and they were on the way to dominate the race once again.

My early projection might have been premature; it’s likely Kansas will win the conference championship but that’s no guarantee as the race has tightened. The latest standings have Kansas with a one game lead over Texas. As for the others right on the heels two games behind is Oklahoma and Kansas State. Even West Virginia once thought out of contention is only two and ½ games back. Over the last two weeks the Big XII Conference race has again produced contenders.

Maybe they should consider a trade
An acquaintance suggested the Thunder trade Russell Westbrook. It’s his belief Westbrook messes with the chemistry of the team. He says; “the team runs much smoother with Reggie Jackson at the point.” I’m sure there are Thunder fans who might disagree with my friend but I decided to check the numbers for myself. Since the Westbrook injury the Thunder have played 26 games winning 19 of them. Could my friend be correct the Thunder don’t need him as badly as we might assume?

They have no inside game
Offensively Mizzou’s back court is among the best in the nation. The tandem of Jordan Clarkson, Jabari Brown and Earnest Ross can score with the best. Mizzou’s offensive and defensive problems lie almost exclusively in the front court. The front court lacks offensive punch and is often challenged in the rebound department. The Kansas City Star reported the game against Kentucky Mizzou forwards was outscored 49-3. I didn’t bother to check the rebound totals however for sure they were probably in favor of Kentucky as well. Mizzou attempted to address the front court issues through recruiting and holdovers.

They signed junior college center Keanu Post. It was thought the 7-foot Post would assist in rebounding and add a bit of scoring. To date Post has been practically invisible in the post, he rarely sees the court. Returning letter man Tony Criswell has been suspended as much as he’s been on the floor this season. 6-10 Ryan Roseburg has been adequate on the boards on occasion but has exhibited a limited offensive game. 6-9 freshman Johnathan Williams has been the one bright spot for Mizzou’s front court. He’s rebounded well and has demonstrated an offensive game. As I’ve often stated if this sounds like an excuse so be it.

This isn’t me…at least I hope
It’s never been my intent to portray myself as a super-duper evaluator of talent.  I might have been over the top on several occasions but never consider my point the only valid one, allow me to explain. I read a story on draft prospect Dante Exum, immediately below the article were letters from “fans.” One in particular caught my eye, this “expert” pointed out deficiencies in Exum’s game. My first thought if this fan was such a keen evaluator of talent why is he not working in the front office of some NBA team. I find it a little difficult to believe he trashed Exum’s skill level based on YouTube videos.