Friday, August 5, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Don’t think so
Darren Rovell ESPN’s financial guy wrote; “Shaquille O’Neal is being enshrined in the Naismith Hall of Fame next month.  A company is taking orders for a signed version of his first shoe the Reebok Shaq Attaq. The size 22 will be available to collectors for $999.32 the 32 his first number when a member of the Magic.”  

I remember the shoe store with the size 22 sitting on a display table. It caught my eye as I turned the corner; I picked it up and sat it on the floor next to my shoe. I’d never seen a shoe that gigantic up to that time and since then. I’d love to have the shoe to add to my collection but not for $1,000.  This is a piece of memorabilia for some fan with plenty of disposable income and that ain’t me.  

Remaining in place
After Kevin Durant “abandoned ship” the belief was Russell Westbrook would be next. All sorts of stories circulated where he might be headed.  One of the destinations for potential free-agent Westbrook was Los Angeles (Lakers).  You might remember my view; I stated early I hoped he signed with anybody but the Lakers.  Los Angeles is/was home but it’s my belief talent and all he’s not the veteran they needed.  

After all the media and fan talk some true some imagined the player made his decision known.  Westbrook signed a 3-year $85.7 million dollar extension to remain in Oklahoma City. The Thunder retained their one super star athlete where do they go from here?  It’s a little difficult for me to access the 2016-17 Thunder besides Durant there have been other changes.  Gone is power forward Bismack Biyombo arriving in his place is shooting guard Victor Oladipo.  The Thunder will certainly be in the playoffs hunt next season; a championship might not be possible at least in 2016-17.

Where to build it
An acquaintance knowing my allegiance to the Lakers asked me the question. “Did you hear about Ballmer looking for a new arena?”  I responded in the affirmative, Rob said; “I don’t know where he (Ballmer) is gonna locate land on the west side of Los Angeles to purchase.”  Rob travels for employment and visit’s the city far more frequently than me.  

Whether his view of real estate in Los Angeles is correct I have no method to validate the statement however I can voice an opinion.  This I know Ballmer born in Detroit now lives in Hunts Point, Washington in metro SEATTLE!   Owner Ballmer claims he intends the team to remain in Los Angeles, can you say Baltimore Bullets, Seattle Sonics or Kansas City Kings?   

Is this necessary?
Allen Fieldhouse Lawrence Kansas home of the Jayhawks.  When I read the ESPN headline about the toughest college arenas I thought it might be nationwide.  I thought of Cameron Indoor, The Dean Dome and the Rupp Center.  Notice I omitted Allen Fieldhouse not because it’s not tough for visitors because it is.  

The story ranked the Big 12 arenas in order the rank the writer believed they rated. Why wouldn’t Allen Fieldhouse finish in first if just the Big 12 Conference is the topic of consideration?  The Jayhawks have 40 game home winning streak leading into the 2016-17 season.  Okay maybe the Big 12 is not as strong as many believe but the streak is certainly noteworthy.