Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

I almost violated my promise
The headline on ESPN’s NBA page caused me to pause.  “Should I respond or simply leave it alone.”  _________ video was discussing an NBA issue and I thought there he goes again.  I was going to write a rebuttal but decided against it reflecting on my promise to myself, over and out.

Love this
I’ve long been a fan of Heat President Pat Riley.  Part of it goes back to his days as Laker coach when he led them to numerous championships.  I came across this “Rileyism” and believed it was worth sharing with those who might not have read it.  “Anytime you stop striving to get better, you’re bound to get worse.”

Number last
The Rio Olympics was Mike Krzyzewski’s swan song, this was the last time Coach K. would head Team USA.  He’s got 2008, 2012 and 2016 gold on his resume; in addition his international reputation speaks volumes about his coaching ability.  I know these are NBA players “not much coaching required.“  That statement is not exactly true a team needs somebody in charge, someone to call timeouts and someone to diagram plays.  His replacement in 2020 will be Gregg Popovich head coach of the Spurs. Coach K is to be commended for continuing Team USA winning tradition.

Disposable income
Those who collect sports memorabilia will buy almost anything including the mouth guard of Steph Curry.  I’d written earlier the mouth guard was up for auction, according to ESPN’s finance guy Darren Rovell it sold for $3,190.00 in an on line auction.  He mentioned several other items that were auctioned, Julius Erving’s notes from his 1981 MVP acceptance speech sold for $10,000. The Converse shoes Erving wore in his last game sold for $8,500.00.  I love sports memorabilia but no where near the disposable income these folks have. As for the Curry mouth guard if it wasn’t sanitized I’d purchase a can of Lysol spray.   

Could he play in the NBA?
I’m unsure of the date however I once wrote of the late Bevo Francis.  Think of the most prolific scorer in college basketball history.  He recorded 116 points against Ashland Junior College (now Ashland Community and Technical College) in 1953.  In that season he averaged 48.3 ppg, the following season it was 113 points against Hillsdale College scoring 48 ppg.  

The 6-9 Francis was a scoring machine while in college.  Why no NBA for Francis, according to the Los Angeles Times February 18 1985 it was homesickness.  He signed with one of the teams that faced the Globetrotters.  Later he would sign with the ABA Cleveland Pipers and when the league folded he simply had enough of travel.

He’s coming back?
You remember Kwame Brown don’t you; he was the number one pick in the 2011 NBA Draft.  That might be the highlight of his NBA career, he was drafted by the Wizards but managed to play for six other teams.  Brown’s been out of the NBA since 2013 but he wants to return to the NBA.  At 6-11 and 290 pounds his physical stature should say “he can play.”  His high school record was outstanding no wonder the Wizards believed he could become a star.  On Monday Brown signed with player agency Interperformances to attempt a comeback.  I try to always say “never” so with his physical attributes I’m sure some team is likely to sign him.  The question can he ever reach the star level once projected?