Thursday, August 4, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Not serious---I hope
There may be no coaching jobs on the immediate horizon or at least that’s my belief. 41-year old Derek Fisher is talking about coming out of retirement as a player and my question is why?  One of my favorite Laker players although points and assists might not reflect his value to the team.  I believe Fisher was one of the keys to several Laker championships.  

The coaching failure with the Knicks might lead many of us to believe he’s got no future as a coach.  Don’t fool yourself a number of factors worked against him with the Knicks at least one of his own making.  I speak of the drama involving Matt Barnes and his former wife.  Given the right set of circumstances I believe he deserves a second look as a coach even if it’s in the college ranks.

You got to be kidding
One NBA front office simulation has the Warriors winning 82 out of 83 games. People I don’t make this stuff up however I have difficulty believing the win total.  The Warriors have got to be favored going into the season but an 82-1 regular season. They will be very, very good but how good?  Training camp and the exhibition season is not the real thing.  It’s likely the Warriors will struggle initially and then kick it into second gear.  My definition of struggle is certainly not losing 7 or 8 games in a row. The key as mentioned previously which player must tailor his game to add Kevin Durant to the lineup.  

I’ve changed my mind I now believe that player to be shooting guard Klay Thompson. I’d originally included Draymon Green but now believe a lack of “Big Men” by the Warriors will allow him more shots for his low-post game.  Certainly don’t want to say it but we must consider the injury factor.  Here’s hoping there are no major injuries on the road but there is no method to determine it doesn’t occur.  NOTE:  So much for my thoughts which don’t reflect those of Klay Thompson.  This was announced prior to publication of this account.  “I will sacrifice nothing in my game after the addition of Kevin Durant.”  

Names the same that’s all
The last name jumped off the page at me, Hamidou Diallo.  Hmmmm, I wonder if he’s related to Chieck Diallo who was a second round choice of the Clippers in the 2016 draft.  Hamidou is a 6-5 shooting guard who attends Putnam Science Academy in Putnam (CT).  His name came to my attention when I was checking Team USA-Under 18.  He’s Rivals number seven prospect in the Class of 2017 and number 12 on ESPN Recruiting Data Base.  This Diallo calls Queens Village in New York City home--incidentally the information I uncovered says he and Chieck Diallo are no relation. 

Why?
We might believe winning a third NBA Championship LeBron James would be sitting on top of the world.  Number three was especially noteworthy for is was the first in Northern Ohio in 52 years.  Yet we read LeBron “Is chasing the ghost of Michael Jordan?”  My question might be why, can’t he just be satisfied with being LeBron James?  

His resume contains entries MJ never accomplished, one of those six consecutives finals appearances.  He didn’t win all his finals appearances but there were factors not all of LeBron’s doing.  I don’t have LeBron’s ear but would say to him “Be yourself and quit chasing MJ, this is not a “Ghostbusters” sequel you can never capture a ghost.”  It’s not just me former MJ teammate B.J. Armstrong said “If you want to be the best, get rid the of comparisons.“