Thursday, December 15, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Who?
The NCAA Division I scoring leader in 1996-97 was Charles Jones who played at Long Island University.  That was the last time we witnessed a 30 ppg scoring leader until this season. Don’t worry if you don’t remember Jones I didn’t either.  He played at Long Island University and was in the NBA for a short time but spent the bulk of his career overseas; he retired from play in 2010.  As for this year we have another unknown unless you follow Central Michigan basketball.  

5 foot 9 inch Marcus Keene from Central Michigan is the nation’s scoring leader.  Despite his diminutive stature he’s averaging nearly 31 points a game.  Keene is no one dimensional player despite his stature he’s pulling down nearly 5 rebounds and dishing out 5 assists per game.  I’ve not witnessed his play but it would appear he’s got an all-around game.  Store the name in your memory after all last season 5-9 Kay Felder from Oakland University (MI) managed to secure a spot on this years Cavs roster.

Never say never
As they often say “Records are made to be broken,” I could add not always. The Bulls single-season won-loss record would never be eclipsed or so I believed.  There have been others but most recently we discussed Russell Westbrook and his assault on the triple-double record.  Many looked at the Oscar Robertson story and said; “Can Westbrook equal or break the record of a triple-double in every game.”  Although I don’t believe I stated it could never be accomplished I questioned if it was possible in this age.  I don’t want to take anything away from Robertson but it was a different NBA when he sat the record.  

As an example if we just checked travel back then a west coast trip in Oscar’s time meant two California stops to play the Lakers and the Warriors that was it.  There was no Dallas, San Antonio or Houston stops in addition Phoenix and Denver were fly-over’s too.  Other than the two California cities there was no play west of the Mississippi river, it was the St. Louis Hawks and the two west coast teams.  For the second game in a row Westbrook failed to register a triple-double, Robertson’s record remains safe for now.  What do you think will Westbrook break the record next year or the year after?

Is he the best?
The ESPN NBA page headline read; "Is Chris Paul the NBA's best PG again?" We had to be reminded where Paul had been.  There is no doubt Paul is a talented point guard however I have questions.  When I think of effective point guards I think of Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson, John Stockton and Dennis Johnson.  Paul receives a pass for the years he was in New Orleans the teams were not very good by comparison to the Clippers.

Basketball was/is and remains a team game and the contributions of an effective point guard are key to a team's success.  This is year six for Paul and the Clippers, the team he's never lead past the Western Conference Finals.  I realize this appears critical of Paul and I am to a degree. Is this the year, the year the Clippers play for an NBA Championship?  Do it Chris and make guys like me shut our faces up.

Haters
Kobe haters still exist its likely they will continue for the next several years until his memory fades.  I even have a Kobe hater in the family, one of my wife’s cousins believes LeBron James can do no wrong.  At the same time he finds fault in the manner Kobe tends to cross his T’s (exaggeration folks).  

Over this past weekend I held a conversation with an acquaintance, him knowing my Laker roots said; “I’m surprised Kobe has been so quiet.”  My response; “Why is it so difficult to believe, I believed all along he wouldn’t do television or anything in the public eye.”  There we have it those who believe (in error) Kobe seeks the spotlight, that’s not even close with the Lakers why should it be in retirement?