Thursday, December 8, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Correction
I MADE AN ERROR OF MONUMENTAL PROPORTIONS YESTERDAY.  I failed to include Michael Jordan in the list of players who had 60+ scoring games in the NBA, sorry MJ.

Failure to comply
This time the violation is for not providing a winning basketball program over decades.  Drake of the Missouri Valley is the school in question we are discussing. Allow me to state upfront I’ve not followed the program closely however I’m aware of a small portion of the school’s basketball resume. Coach Ray Giacoletti resigned on Wednesday after 3 seasons and a 1-7 start in 2016-17. We must travel back to 2007-08 to uncover a winner; under former Coach Keno Davis Drake registered a 28-5 overall record and 15-3 in the conference, that’s the high water mark.  

Years prior it was it was 1969-70 (22-7) and 1970-71 (21-8) the last time Drake had impressive back to back winning seasons.  There were winning seasons however they contained double digit losses.  This is the tough Mo Valley Conference home to Creighton, Northern Iowa, and Wichita State always competitive programs. Why has Drake been the doormat of the league for such a lengthy time-period you ask? I don’t have the answer however it’s my belief the administration and athletic department have no desire to win. They would deny my last statement however can they truly deny the poor record over the decades?

This is the story I know
I’ve never visited Seattle or the Pacific Northwest I can only speak through what I believe to be true.  We reported Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson added his name to the Hansen group attempting to secure an NBA team.  The email responses begin flying in, I didn’t bother to determine whether they were from Seattle or not.  More than one writer indicated Seattle “had problems” attracting fans to games.  There is a little more to the story than just the attendance there was also Key Arena being inadequate.  The sale of the Sonics was approved by the NBA on October 24, 2006 a year later November 2, 2007 to be exact the team announced they intended to move the team to Oklahoma City.  

The 2006-07 season was played under a cloud of apprehension although there were overtures made the new owners for an arena they were rebutted.  Fans were aware Clay Bennett lived in Oklahoma City, they were also aware the Hornets played in Oklahoma City displaced by Hurricane Katrina for the 2005-06 and 2006-07 season.  The following season Seattle fans were aware the team was moving after the season.  Tell me especially the 2006-07 season fans are responsible for paying their hard earned finances to see a team leaving the area.  The same situation occurred in Kansas City, fans were aware that last year the team was leaving for Sacramento.  If you attended a Kings game that spring you could throw a rock at an angle and not hit any fans.

I win, I win!!!
Last year I receive plenty of grief at the barber shop from the usual gathering.  The barbers plus many of the regulars have long realized my allegiance to the Lakers.  Allow me to travel back to 2015 every mock draft I saw and every media conversation indicated the Lakers with the second pick would choose Jahlil Okafor in the draft.  It was clear to all concerned the Wolves with the first pick would likely choose Karl-Anthony Towns which later proved correct.  As for the Lakers Commissioner Silver announced; “With the second pick in the 2015 NBA Draft the Los Angeles Lakers choose D’Angelo Russell from Ohio State.”  I almost fell out of my chair believing the Lakers needed the 6-11 270 pound Okafor to anchor the middle.  The barber shop grief continued as Russell first fell out with former Coach Byron Scott, it continued with the Swaggy P. fiasco.  

Despite the erratic season there were occasional bright spots exhibited by Russell. Perhaps over time Okafor’s game will change however he’s proven to be moderate in rebounding the ball despite his bulk.  He’s much slower up and down the court than many thought he’d be.  He does have an effective offensive game but this season his hold-over injury and the emergence of Joel Embiid has left him a back-up center.  I’ve stated for months now the three-headed center of the Sixers will be history soon, someone is traded.  As for the 6-4 Russell although injured as this is written has become a leader.  He doesn’t have all the skills required however his ceiling is far higher (in my view) than Okafor.  As for the center the Lakers needed they drafted him in the second round of the 2016 draft, Ivica Zubac.  He occupies a spot on the bench adjusting to the NBA after arriving from Croatia.