Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

Published Monday-Friday

“You are not him”
This became another occasion that caused me to laugh out loud regarding a media member’s statement.  An ex-football player said; “The average person cannot be LeBron James at 6-8 and 270 pounds.  They cannot be Kevin Durant at 7 feet but they can be Steph Curry.”  He went on to point to the fact that Curry is 6-1 or 6-2 and stopped at that point.  I yelled loudly at my television NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  I must admit Curry is the “little guy” of the group mentioned however my football friend failed to take into consideration the handles of this point guard.  

Mr. Football didn’t consider the amount of work it took for Curry to gain skill in long range shooting or developing passing skills and moves around the basket.  Sure all of us can be Curry if we make 1,000 jump shots a day, work on all the aspects allowing us to become the best of the best.  A friend also pointed out the brilliant hand-eye coordination of Curry.  No Mr. Football we cannot all be Steph Curry despite his rather average build it takes skill, talent and most of all practice, practice and more practice.  The skills required to play basketball at this level is far different from NFL football.  

No-----please no!!!
I don’t know Mizzou AD Jim Sterk in the same manner as long-time AD Mike Alden.  Sterk’s only been on the job since last August, I give him kudos in moving swiftly to replace Kim Anderson with Cuonzo Martin.  Mizzou basketball was going nowhere with Anderson at the helm---good guy but in a bad place.  The jury is still out regarding the Martin hire however the belief is he will turn the basketball program around.  The AD visited Kansas City on Monday to speak to the Tiger Club the local alumni group.  

Sterk mentioned his desire to re-start the Border War rivalry with Kansas.  Allow me to vent my position in life I have 0 effect on any decision Mizzou should take.  I only have a voice of opposition if this series would be resurrected.  For nearly six years Bill Self and Kansas have been insistent the school never intended to play Mizzou again.  Although Mizzou has not played every school Kansas is the only butt-hole in its actions.   Self and Kansas please remain in place just as stubborn as you’ve been in the past I have no desire to play you in any sport.   

Bits n Pieces
Disposable or discretionary income is the phrase.  I don’t exactly remember but I’m sure it was in a micro or macro economics class I first heard the term.  “Income remaining after deduction of taxes and other mandatory charges, available to be spent or saved as one wishes.”  This person must have plenty of disposable income based on his or her recent purchase.  The basketball shoes worn by Michael Jordan in the 1984 Gold Medal Game against Spain went on the auction block.  SCP Auction announced the shoes for $190,373 dollars.  

Butler moved quickly to replace Chris Holtmann who moved on to the Ohio State job.  The school hired assistant Lavall Jordan a former Bulldog player and at one time a time assistant coach at Butler.  Jordan left the head coaching position at Milwaukee to take the position at his Alma mater, good luck coach in this next journey.  

It’s going to be a couple of weeks before I return to the barber shop, I wonder if my barber friend has changed his mind regarding Kevin Durant now.  I’d mentioned he was upset with Durant not for leaving Oklahoma but the fact his former team had just lost a series against the Warriors.  I must admit I was concerned at the beginning of the season.  I believed and stated as much; “someone’s game will suffer” I believed that player to be Klay Thompson.  At the conclusion of a championship season I’m not sure if Thompson really suffered.