Thursday, June 15, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

Published Monday-Friday

I hadn’t thought about this
Someone must refresh my memory from two years ago; the victory parade for the Warriors is scheduled today in Oakland.  The franchise represents two major cities Oakland and San Francisco and I need help on a question. Oracle Arena is located in Oakland do both municipalities host a parade?  Those living in the Bay Area already have an answer to the question.  I’m going to check with a friend and see if he knows, I’ll get back with you on this one. UPDATE: According to my friend the parade is held in Oakland only.  

He’s a non-factor
Over the top LaVar Ball’s name continues to resonate with the media regarding the NBA Draft. Many are stating he will affect the draft status of son Lonzo I say baloney.  Whether it’s Magic Johnson, Danny Ainge or somebody else LaVar is a non-factor.  Everybody known’s him if nothing more than his bravado.  Shame on any team which fails to draft Lonzo just because of his dad.  At this point it appears the son appears to be level headed; we shall see the outcome in several days time.  

I don’t hate
It is time once again to clear the air, I’m not a hater.  A number of you (you know who you are) have accused me of being a LeBron hater.  In the past I expressed my displeasure with him leaving Cleveland for South Beach.  Since LeBron’s return to Cleveland I believe I’ve said few negatives regarding him.  You believe I’m a hater because I don’t hold him in the high esteem you do.  I find it even more fascinating you can erupt with Kobe Bryant vitriol yet I’m the one accused of hatred.    

So let me see if I understand its okay for you to make a negative statement about the retired Kobe Bryant but it’s not okay for me to praise LeBron.  I believed for quite awhile LeBron James has been the best basketball player in the world.  Despite this view I’m not going to fall all over myself praising the players’ game.  LeBron will be 33 years old when the season rolls around.  He’s got plenty of good years ahead of him to tie or even establish records that will never be eclipsed.  I’m gonna give him his props; I refuse to go mushy over LeBron.  

“Isn’t that special”
Fans of SNL will remember the line above by Dana Carvey in his skits as The Church Lady. This report has nothing to do with SNL, Carvey or church its Clippers owner Steve Ballmer.  It appears Ballmer intends to build his own arena; the owner wants his Clipper team out of Staples Center. He could not move the Clippers until 2024 due to being tied to the lease agreement.  

Inglewood will be the sight of the new arena and according to reports Ballmer intends to pay for the entire cost of the project.  As for the time line the possibility exists the building could be complete by 2020 what’s to keep Ballmer from breaking his lease?  After all its only money, not exactly shocking for Ballmer.  He's reported to have paid the highest amount to date ($1 billion dollars) in purchasing an NBA franchise, stay tuned as this story continues to evolve.