Friday, August 3, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective

Maize?
Maize Kansas is a suburb of Wichita, I know the location of Wichita, but I’d never heard of the town previously.  In any event the town is the home of Caleb Grill a 6-foot 2-inch point guard.  Texas Tech had an offer on the table, so did Nebraska and SMU to name a few.  With those schools and others in front of him Grill verbally committed to attend South Dakota State.  I just read the Jackrabbits were the first school to recruit this talented guard in his junior year.  This certainly is no slap in the face to South Dakota State it’s just not the normal path expected.

He went from A to Z
I latched onto Hassan Whiteside early once he moved to the Heat, this 7-footer appeared to have all the tools required to be a dominant center.  He demonstrated skill in rebounds and blocks and was an improving scorer and defender.  Last season was lost, I admit I didn’t follow him as much as I had in prior years.  Not one but practically all his numbers were down from years prior. 
Some of it was due to injury it appears while attitude was believed to be the major culprit.  This is the guy I’d hoped the Lakers would sign in free-agency, but they never got the chance, he would re-sign with the Heat and the rest is history.  Back to the subject at hand he appears to be in a better place now after his conference.  Whiteside met with Heat president Pat Riley and coach Erik Spoelstra in July.  He indicated the meeting was productive so hopefully issues have been resolved.  Whiteside went from A to Z career wise rather than A to B.  

Bits n Pieces
I have no inside information, I have no connection.  Despite the word from Shaq I have my doubts Kobe is un-retiring.  The possibility of playing alongside LeBron James is certainly entertaining but Kobe’s got a great deal of mileage on his body.  That last year we could see an occasional glimpse of the old Kobe however it was apparent he struggled at times.
Carmelo Anthony has cleared waivers, he’s now free to sign with the Rockets if that is his intent.  We are confused, he’d made it known there was no desire on his part to be a 6th man for the Thunder.  That was the basis for him leaving the Thunder, could it be just a story?  It appears he might be forced to fill a reserve role for the Rockets.  Then again, he could replace P.J. Tucker at small forward, we shall see. 
Sometimes you think you know all there is to know, one day you discover you don’t know as much as you thought.  Example, we discussed the Lakers new jerseys for 2018-19.  I didn’t realize the Lakers have tweaked the jerseys over the years.  The changes were not too evident, so I guess that might be the reason I missed the difference, oh well.   

He weighs what?
We believe at 6 feet 7 inches and 275 pounds Zion Williamson could be a football lineman or tight end.  All that’s changed now, not the football part but the weight part.  After Williamson   arrived at Duke he was measured once again, 6 feet 7 inches tall no change there but 285 pounds.  It turns out over the summer Williamson added an additional 10 pounds, despite the added weight a 40-inch vertical remains for the Duke freshman.  Should we suppose the additional poundage is to handle the rigors of college ball?  I thought at one-point Williamson was too short at 6 feet 7 to play power forward, at 285 pounds he should be able to battle anyone on the blocks.  He outweighs LeBron James and Draymond Green and this dude is just entering college. 
Hypocrite
According to Webster.com the definition for hypocrite is, “A person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated believes or feelings” which is what I believed it to be.  I’m sure there might be those who disagree however I think I acknowledged the greatness of LeBron James quite a while ago.  At the same time, I can state I never claimed Lebron as my favorite active player, that honor belonged to Kobe Bryant until he retired.  Although I’m pleased with the LeBron decision deciding to become a member of my Lakers I’m conflicted.  The Lakers have been among the bottom dwellers of the NBA for the last several years. 
I’ve gone on record on more than one occasion voicing my desire for the team to return to the Showtime days or if nothing else the 2009-2010 version of the Lakers.  How great is my struggle you might ask?  Do I purchase a LeBron jersey to add to my collection of Laker memorabilia?  As I check out my man cave it contains not a single active Laker jersey.  Proudly displayed on my wall are the jerseys of Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Shaquille O’Neal and Jamaal Wilkes.  Other than Kobe they were purchased after retirement, sorry LeBron two more purchases must be made first.  Elgin Baylor number 22, haven’t decided if it will be a Minneapolis Laker or the first year in Los Angeles.  The other jersey, “Big Game” James Worthy number 42.