Friday, August 17, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective

This is the last
Larry Laker is taking a break; Words eye view will return on Wednesday, August 22.  Thank you for your continued support in this endeavor, we celebrated our 7th anniversary this past April.  From a Monday, Wednesday, Friday publishing schedule Words eye view has expanded and is now published daily. This could not have been accomplished unless I believed you the reader desired it.  Your interest in all levels of basketball has been the driving force behind the effort made here.  At the formation the blogs intent was to cover my favorite NBA team the Lakers.  More and more I began to see the need for basketball coverage beyond may favorite NBA team.  Thanks again and continue to bounce or shoot that basketball or grab the rebound. 
I almost fell out of my chair
If you read Words eye view I’m quite sure I’ve written something in the past you disagreed with.  I’m sure most of us don’t intend start to be controversial however it does often occur.  What caused me to almost fall out of my chair with laughter.  The title of the article was “The mistake the Lakers made in not signing Boogie Cousins.”  Curious I read the first few lines of the piece, the author claims the prospect of waiting till January was the basis for the Lakers failure to sign Cousins.  Whoever wrote this must have been joking, the Lakers added LeBron James to their roster.  They were unwilling to wait two months for Cousins to fully heal?  Where do these guys come up with this storyline?  Oh well I guess it served it’s purpose it got me riled up
“I’m from Missouri etc. etc.”
You’ve heard the statement over and over from me.  I’ve adopted the motto of my home state, “I’m from Missouri you’ve got to show me.”  That certainly applies to Duke phenom Zion Williamson, the 6-7 285-pound Williamson has continued to demonstrate his dunking skill at Duke.  I first expressed a concern in late 2017, for his size he sprints up and down the court swiftly for dunks.  Does Williamson have an outside shot, I’m not referring to 3-point skill does he have a mid-range game?  I hope he’s fully developing all aspects of what deep seated talent is, we shall see later this fall and winter. 
The rich keep getting richer 
We’ve heard in the past “You must have money in order to make money.”  That statement certainly applies to Kobe Bryant and others of wealth, consider this story which broke on Thursday.  I was unfamiliar with BodyArmor, I discovered it’s a sport drink like Gatorade.  Bryant purchased a 10% interest in the sports drink in 2014 a $6 million-dollar investment.  On Tuesday Coca-Cola purchased a share in the company, the investment Bryant made just four years ago has increased his investment to a net worth of $200 million.   
The Second City
Several entertainers received their initial beginning with Second City an improvisational comedy theatre.  Founded in 1959 a few alumni would move to television’s Saturday Night Live, SCTV (no longer aired) and other entertainment venues.  Bulls fans desire a Second City revival on the basketball court  After Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Phil Jackson left Chicago winning teams were no longer as evident as they once were.  During the Tom Thibodeau years the Bulls were winners and playoff bound every year, they never managed to play for an NBA championship. 
For two of the last three seasons the Bulls were a .500 team, last year it was even worst (27-55).  Has Fred Hoiberg managed to turn this team around and placed them on an upward bound position?  I admit I haven’t followed the Bulls very closely however I read critical remarks for the Bulls in re-signing Zach LaVine.  Kris Dunn, Lauri Markannen and Bobby Portis have been glimmers of light in the fog of play by the team.  It’s hoped Wendall Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchinson will demonstrate performance alike that exhibited at Duke and Boise State respectively.  All this is pending on the view of the chief Bull’s fan in Kansas City.