Sunday, January 20, 2019


BASKETBALL FROM A FANS PERSPECTIVE

I’ll take the blame
Last Friday I wrote Big 12 basketball was Kansas and a bunch of pretenders.  I’m unsure if anyone in West Virginia be they fan, alum, player or staff read my commentary.  In any event at Morgantown the Mountaineers upset number 7 Kansas 65-64.  Far too many games to watch for me to critique the game, I cannot do picture in picture on my TV.  I’d rather have full screen viewing.  In any event Kansas fans feel free to blame me. 
Bits n Pieces
It’s me, I know it is…. have you note the Pistons sometimes wear jerseys emblazoned with Motor City across the front?  Detroit was given the nickname eons ago at the time the city was the automobile capital of the world.  In the industry of today I question whether it still applies in the 21st Century, just asking.  If you live in the metro this is not intended to offend just ask the question.  
It might have appeared I was taking the opposite view with two college phenoms, one I said needed to stay while the other I said why stay.  The players in question were Duke’s Zion Williamson and Ja Morant of Murray State.  It appeared to me Scottie Pippen was arguing there was no requirement for Williamson to continue play, he should quit immediately since he would be lottery pick and run the risk of injury.  As for Morant I questioned how the sophomore point guard could remain in school having moved into the lottery area on several mock draft sites.  Hope that clears up what might appear to be double-talk on my part.  
Mizzou beat Texas A&M 66 to 43, the shocking part of the victory there were only 5 minutes remaining in the game before.  Jeremiah Tilmon Jr. didn’t pick up his first foul until there was less than 5 minutes in the game…. outstanding.  Mizzou was the beneficiary as Tilmon had 14 points along with 6 rebounds.  Tilmon was not the game-high scorer however Mizzou is so much better when the 6-10 252-pound Tilmon is able to remain on the floor free of foul trouble.           
“The Conversation”
In 1974 Gene Hackman’s first major role was in a movie with the above title.  The movie was directed by Francis Ford Coppola who later gained fame directing “The Godfather trilogy.”  Here’s the direction of this account, several topics covered in Words eye view often originate from conversations.  A friend and Mizzou fan said, “Mizzou needs a big man” which is perhaps every college programs intent.  With no Jontay Porter (6 foot 11) available plus talented but foul-prone Jeremiah Tilmon Mizzou comes up short in that department. 
Question, we continue to hear and read about evolution of the game especially small ball.  My argument is counter to most prevailing views, we see big men shooting from 3-point range but is that a true picture of today’s game?  You tellin’ me you have a young Shaquille O’Neal or Wilt Chamberlain type and you don’t attempt to develop them.  Unless the basket is lowered, or some other bizarre event occurs teams be they college or NBA will continue to develop big men. 
Did it again
The NBA refuses to listen to me, perhaps those reading this will.  I’ve mentioned on more than one occasion how I dislike “next day officiating.”  A portion of an NBA game has a play or series of plays an official makes an error, 99% of the time we fail to even note the error.  The NBA says, “Game officials made a mistake ____________________.”  The recent overtime victory by the Lakers might not have reached a 5th quarter.  Lonzo Ball fouled Russell Westbrook resulting in a four-point play, Westbrook sunk the 3-point basket and made the free-throw forcing the game into overtime.  The NBA office indicates Westbrook was fouled however he “was not in the act of shooting.”