Friday, November 9, 2012


Betcha didn’t know

Despite what you might think Laker jerseys have not always been purple and gold. In 1960 at the time the team arrived in Los Angeles there was little change from those worn previously in Minneapolis. The road jerseys were white with blue lettering and road jerseys blue with white lettering. Both versions read Los Angeles across the front rather than the more familiar Lakers. They wore this jersey from 1960 through the 1966 season. In the fall of 1966 the team adopted purple jerseys for the road and gold for home. The jersey has been modified but only slightly since the color change was initiated. Early in 2002 the team adopted an alternative jersey. The team began wearing a white jersey for home games, a tribute to long-time broadcaster Chick Hearn. Hearn broadcast Laker games from 1961 through the 2002 season. The white jersey was designed by vice-president Jeannie Buss.  

Bits n Pieces

Did you read Kobe Bryant says he thinks he can play at age 40, sound crazy? Maybe if anybody could play at that age it would be him. I‘ve often said if only Shaq had Kobe‘s work ethic he‘d probably still be playing.

He might be gone; Charles Barkley claims he wants to try another venture. He’s tired of “Inside the NBA. “ With Barkley we are never sure what he’s going to do. Remember him running for Governor of Alabama, later we discovered he wasn’t registered to vote.

The surprise team so far in this young NBA season is not the 4-0 Spurs. Despite the flame out in the playoffs they are good as Tim Duncan’s back. The AARP Knicks are 3-0, no Amar’e, no matter they look good. Raymond Felton and old man Jason Kidd have proven to be adequate replacements for last years point guard. What was his name, can’t remember it? Oh ya it was Jeremy Lin, wonder where he went?

One of the many programs I promised myself I would follow this year is Southern Methodist University. I’m curious for several reasons, Larry Brown begged and pleaded to return to coaching at age 72. Brown has more basketball knowledge in his little finger than I do my entire body, that‘s not the issue. Will Brown be patient enough and at age 72 can he communicate with this generations athletes?

He doesn’t like it but we should understand why. The Lakers Dwight Howard is not pleased the center position’s been eliminated from the NBA ballot. Off the top of my head the 76ers Andrew Bynum might be the only true center in the NBA. A classic back to the basket guy, I can’t even make that statement about Howard as talented as I think he is.

I admit North Carolina State has not been on my radar until this year. Sure, once upon a time they won an NCAA Championship but that was a long time ago. it seems they always play second fiddle to North Carolina and Duke. No more, several pre-season polls have them ranked above both their arch rivals.

You might remember I mentioned Doug Gottlieb of CBS Sports picked Mizzou to win the SEC crown. I mentioned I was unsure how he came to this conclusion however he’s not the only one. Two ESPN scribes who also cover college basketball picked Mizzou to win the SEC.  You must first play the game but Mizzou might be better than I first thought.

Depends on where you sit

The first game scheduled for Barclays Center was cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy. The inaugural game was played two days later on Saturday. Welcome to Brooklyn certainly was the theme. Former Dodger players were invited to a pre-game ceremony. This was in keeping with the “Back to Brooklyn” theme. During points of the game the television camera would focus on Nets majority owner Mikhail Prokhorov or minority owner Jay-Z. Prokhorov was seated in a sky box, Jay-Z courtside seats on the floor. I’m sure the Jay-Z seats would certainly range in the neighborhood of $1,000 and more. It’s my belief Prokhorov probably had a better view of the game than Jay-Z. Back in the day at a time the Kings home was Kansas City I often purchased end zone tickets three to four rows from the floor. I would note at various times officials or players could and would block my view of the action. Seats in the middle portion of the grandstand half way to the top provided me the best unobstructed view.