Monday, November 26, 2012


I’m unsure who to yell at! 

In this day of every game being televised I've become spoiled. Once I discovered Mizzou was headed to the Bahamas for the Battle of Atlantis I thought great. The field was loaded (Louisville, Duke) so I thought I’d see good basketball. Reading comments in various publications indicated I wasn’t the only fan who missed the Mizzou-Stanford game. The Kansas City fans able to view the game had DirecTV, Dish Network or another cable system. The second largest cable system in the nation (Kansas City) was excluded. Time Warner Cable does not offer AXS-TV as part of its package of channels. O don’t know who to address my question however why chose a provider not available to the vast majority of Kansas City residents? In any event radio it was to keep up with the Stanford game which Mizzou won. Louisville proved to me why they are the number two team in the nation. They ran Mizzou out of the gym, it was a very disappointing evening Phil Pressey (8 TO’s) and me. The journey to Paradise Island almost became “Paradise Lost” however Mizzou managed to pull out a hard fought semifinal game and won 68-65 in their match against VCU. All three games Stanford, Louisville and VCU provided a learning experience for Mizzou.

Not looking forward to the season
Sacramento fans are probably not excited for the start of the NBA season. On the other hand if the Mayan calendar is correct there is no requirement for any of us to worry.  If we have not been blown up or floated out to space by December 21st its likely this will be the Kings last season in the capital of California.  Mayor Johnson thought he’d brokered a deal with the Maloof brothers, turns out the Maloof’s “wanna play they just don’t wanna pay.” The Kings are going nowhere on the court, they are likely on the way out town at the conclusion of the season. I hate to see a city lose its team however those of us in Kansas City know the feeling, same for the residents of Seattle. The only city to suffer but a brief period of time is Charlotte. The Hornets left the city moving to New Orleans and were replaced by the expansion Bobcats.

Waiting
I wonder if the self appointed Kobe hater Jason Whitlock checked out his game against the Rockets. The “selfish” player scored 22 points grabbed 11 rebounds while dishing out 11 assists. In addition there were 3 steals and only 3 TO’s while shooting 9 for 18 from the floor in 35 minutes on the floor. I think I can trace Whitlock’s hatred to a single incident. It might have begun at the 2011 All-Star post-game press conference. I don’t remember the question Whitlock asked but it was stupid and I can only conclude Kobe must have felt the same way by his response. He said; “I not going to answer that-----next question?” Since that time it seems every opportunity to slam Kobe he takes it, he event invents stuff to provide validation for his view.  You might remember I once wrote Whitlock has strange reasoning behind his hatred, he said something similar to this.  "I don't won't Bryant to get his 6th ring, I want fans to view Magic Johnson as the all-time greatest Laker."  It is totally stupid to write about a personal issue he has no control over regarding Bryant.  Fans are short-sighted, they only have the true ability to see in front of them.  Bryant is on the court currently not Kobe.  Laker fans realize what Magic accomplished but you really think they care what Whitlock thinks?

Unrealized expectations
I admit I probably was expecting too much! I had an opportunity to see Shabazz Muhammad play in high school I was anxious to see his first game. I wasn’t expecting him in the starting lineup because the NCAA investigation had kept him off the floor while teammates were allowed to play. Muhammad a 6-6 shooting guard was the number one (or two) prospect in the Class of 2012. I haven’t read reports of the game however Muhammad was probably 1. nervous and 2. coming off a series of injuries caused him to start slowly as he was inserted as a sub into the game. Georgetown unranked took UCLA rated number 11 to the woodshed, they spanked them 78-70. As for Muhammad after a slow start he finished the game with 15 points, he shot 5 for 10 from the floor. Georgetown’s Otto Porter had an outstanding game with 18 points and 11 rebounds, Porter’s from Sikeston (MO) about 150 miles south of St. Louis. NOTE: Dickey V. during the telecast said “there needs to be a commissioner of college sports to work with the NCAA.” I’m not sure how this would work but something needs to be done. Two Indiana players have both been suspended 9 games over a monetary issue that’s 20 years old.