Monday, November 19, 2012


Did you hear this?

Remember last summer I argued Andrew Bynum was a good as Dwight Howard? Last summer I said Bynum’s offensive skill was superior and he certainly was a better at the free-throw line than Howard. The other negative Howard would be returning to the basketball court after off season back surgery.  Initial reports indicated Howard wouldn’t play until December or perhaps January. Interesting in the fact Bynum is the player whose appearance has been delayed. Howard (not quite 100%) played late in the pre-season and began the regular season as an active player. Bynum is yet to lace up his basketball shoes for the first time. In addition his other knee is acting up now, the latest story Bynum might not play until January. He says that was the plan all along which causes me to ask what does he mean?

Interesting 
Shabazz Muhammad is eligible to play, his punishment repaying $1,600 in benefits and sitting out UCLA’s first three games. Both are complete and he will be in the lineup for the game tonight against Georgetown. I’m almost unsure if it was worth the effort for UCLA to appeal the eligibility issue. I foresee the NBA in this youngster future, if he’s enrolled in August of 2013 I for one will certainly be shocked. If he has a shaky freshman year (which I doubt) he’s headed for the NBA. I’m not criticizing the player I’m critical of today’s state of affairs. The NBA and NCAA should sit down and seriously discuss the one n done subject.

Weber State
Where in the world is Waldo might be replaced by where in the world is Weber State? The answer is Ogden Utah 40+ miles north of Salt Lake City. Weber State is a member of the Big Sky Conference; conference rivals include Montana State and Northern Arizona. Damian Lillard was impressive for the Blazers during the NBA Summer League however like most I remained cautious, I wanted to see how he played against the “big boys."  So far this 6-3 195 pound point guard has validated the Blazers selecting him as the 6th pick in the 2012 draft.  Checking his numbers Lillard’s field goal percentage appears to be the only negative. Given time we could assume his field goal percentage will improve as he makes adjustments to his NBA game. If Lillard maintains his 18.6 ppg and 7.2 assists per game numbers we might attach Rookie of the Year behind his name.

Bits n Pieces
Seeing Dwight Howard exit the team bus in horn rim glasses, vest and bow tie my first thought, “a 6-11 Steve Urkel.”

Coach Monty Williams confused me and I’m sure others. Williams complained loudly regarding the NBA policy which forced Anthony Davis to the sidelines. Davis had suffered a concussion and the new rule is you must be medically cleared to play. You would think Williams was aware of the NFL legal issues regarding player concussions.

Did the Knicks know something we didn’t? This is probably not fair of me, the season is still young. Have you checked out Jeremy Lin’s numbers with the Rockets? As of November 16 he’s 10.9 ppg 35.3% shooting, the only good his assists numbers are good, he’s at 6.1 assists per game.

In surprising news Kentucky’s Class of 2013 recruits was rated number one in the nation for the umpteenth time. I have no idea how Coach Cal does it but he and Kentucky have become an even greater magnet for Top 25 high school players.

I never had an opportunity to see 6-9 255 pound Alex Oriakhi play during his tenure at UConn. I read a number of negative emails (I would assume from UConn fans) regarding Oriakhi. A number of us were what type of player Haith and Mizzou was receiving. It’s still early but so far I’m pleased at what I see; he hit’s the boards consistently and when called on can score.