Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Basketball from a fan’s perspective

 

Tiger bound
Mizzou received its third 2016 commitment, Reed Nikko a 6-9 power forward indicated he’s headed to Columbia. Nikko is from Maple Grove (MN) a Twin Cities suburb, he’s a Rivals 3-star prospect. Mizzou has only two scholarships remaining for 2016.

Kansas City connection
I'm watching the Laker-Jazz pre-season game and it reminded me again the Jazz have a Kansas City connection. Guard Alec Burks played at Colorado however he developed his game at Grandview High School in Grandview (MO) a KC suburb. Guard Trey Burke grew up in Ohio and played his college ball at Michigan, you ask where he is connected to Kansas City. Trey’s mom met her future husband when both were students at Northwest Missouri State University. Trey’s dad played basketball at the college while his mom ran track the sport she began at Ruskin High in Kansas City.

Is the drama necessary?
The question is posed based on the drama surrounding Tristan Thompson and the Cavs. Granted athletes in comparison to many of us in the private sector are often grossly over-paid. As for Thompson he’s proven his value to the Cavs especially when Kevin Love went down with an injury. The drama I speak of is the back and forth negotiations between him and Cavs management, LeBron James has even gotten into the middle of this rift.

All this because Thompson refuses to sign a qualifying offer which makes him a holdout. It’s reported the Cavs have removed all images of the players from Quicken Loans Arena. We have no idea why Thompson has taken this stance; it might be based on the off-season rewards. A number of Cavs were rewarded for their deep run into the playoffs, Thompson might be saying; “What you gonna do for me?”

The pipeline remains active
John Calipari did it again, another 5-star prospect is headed to Lexington. Wenyen Gabriel is a 6-9 200 pound forward from Wilbraham a suburb of Springfield (MA). Interesting Springfield is where the game was invented by Dr. Naismith in 1891. I know nothing about Gabriel except he’s a Rivals 5-star prospect and is number 17 in the Class of 2016. What I know at 6-9 and 200 pounds he’s going to spend an ample amount of time in the weight room. The road to Lexington is still open and looks as though John Calipari is going to remain in place for awhile longer. All that talk about him leaving was just that talk.

“I’m smarter than you”
My war with certain members of the sports media continues with no end in sight. We all have egos and that’s okay until you display it arrogantly. You know; “I’m the smartest guy in the room” mentality. “I can say this because I’ve covered basketball _____ years. I was the beat writer for ___________.” Okay I get it you say if they are that upsetting quit reading their columns, change the channel or mute the sound on television appearances. That’s actually easier than it sounds please allow me time to explain further. The true or untrue story Stephen A. Smith reported on Kevin Durant. I didn’t hear Smith on his television program I didn’t hear a pod cast or read the story on the ESPN.com website; I read the Smith headline on several NBA websites. Smith is not the only guilty media person in my view.

I can provide you a hint, if they talk down to their audience as if they are more intelligent chances are real good they belong in the assembly of “I’m smarter than you.” I would never write Words eye view from the perspective I’m smarter than you. In all the years I’ve followed sports I don’t ever remember a member of the media threatening a player in the manner Smith did on October 5th. He says Durant crossed the line calling him a liar, I believe Smith’s crossed the line with his implied threats against Durant. Somebody pointed out a fact to me; Smith claims if Durant intended to remain in Oklahoma City he’d signed an extension right now. Why because Smith says he should, there is no timetable for Durant he could sign an extension on July 1, 2016 and still remain with the Thunder.