Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Level field (court)
It is only a verbal commitment at this point but Miami (FL) topped Kansas, Duke, Florida and Indiana.  Deng Gak a 6-11 200 pound power forward is a 4-star prospect in the Class of 2017 and headed to South Beach.  Can he play might be the question; my response is I have no idea.  The reason this is a story note the who’s who of college basketball Miami beat out.  We can say change is in the air and the court has certainly leveled.  

Adidas
It was reported awhile back Knick forward Kristaps Porzingis signed with Adidas.  He was under contract to Nike however they had 10-days to match or exceed the offer Adidas made they declined.  Adidas has made huge strides signing several of the most recent NBA stars however they remain in the rear view mirror of the Nike.   

Life is good
Jason Whitlock has been permanently exiled to the outer limits of planet Tau Ceti. Stephen A. Smith is located somewhere on planet Arrakis, I’m unable to locate his former co-host Skip Bayless is “Lost In Space” somewhere.  Mike Greenberg, I have no idea who that might be I’ve never met the guy.  Don’t think this is a national view it’s local too, I cannot remember the last time I tuned into sports talk radio in Kansas City.  

Allow me this brief statement; I don’t believe everything I write should be yours.  Many of the above sports persons deem their words to be the gospel.  My opinion must become your opinion is their view.  In this instance I’m applying one of the definitions of gospel; “Something regarded as true and implicitly believed. “ At the same time I have no problem listening to those in the media with credibility, as I indicated “Life is good.”

dictionary.com  

Basketball movies
I can state with conviction Hollywood has only done a fair job in filming basketball movies.  I’ve seen a number over the years including a number filmed in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s thanks to cable and broadcast television.  The problem with most of these early efforts is casting, usually good actors, and terrible athletes.  I will not rank them in a Top 10 I’m just going to provide you my assessment.  A number of these movies I‘ve never seen, one in particular is “He Got Game” with Denzel Washington and Ray Allen.  

What might be a surprise you I thought “White Men Can’t Jump” is on my list of good basketball movies.  It wasn’t the acting necessarily but the basketball skill exhibited, Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson actually looked athletic.  The movie was directed by Ron Shelton who had a brief minor league baseball career.  Perhaps it was Shelton’s athletic past that leads him to be involved in sports movies maybe it’s a Shelton thing because he wrote the script for “Blue Chips”.  In addition he directed baseball movies “Bull Durham“ and “Cobb.”  The difference in "Blue Chips" Shaquille O’Neal, Penny Hardaway and several other “genuine basketball” players were hired for cameo movie roles.  

There are other good stories and basketball action “Hurricane Season”, “Hoosiers”, “Glory Road” and “Coach Carter”.  This is my list there are others who might make the cut those mentioned are from my memory without conducting vast amounts of research.  There have been a number of really bad basketball movies not just the storyline but the basketball.  They are “Teen Wolf” Michael J. Fox and “The Fish That Saved Pittsburg” with Dr. J.