Friday, November 11, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

I wonder if he cares
My boycott of Stephen A. Smith continues however he keeps popping up on my ESPN.com NBA page.  His latest take he claims Dwyane Wade made a mistake leaving Miami.  I didn’t bother with clicking on the link I just decided to point a fact I believe is true regarding me and you. Despite his public guise do you really suppose Wade cares what Smith has to say about his decision?  

It’s easy for some of us to look over someone else’s shoulder and provide direction for them. As for me I have enough difficulty managing my own life without intruding into someone else’s. I might have an opinion but does it really matter sometimes what I think? I guess Smith believes Wade needed his input before reaching a conclusion.     

Curry versus Curry

Seth Curry’s played for a number of NBA teams in his brief NBA career.  Surely the brothers faced one another besides the driveway of their youth.  In any event Seth was guarding Steph on Wednesday evening when the Mavs faced the Warriors.  The elder brother prevailed with 24 points while Seth only scored 10 points in a 4-17 shooting display.  Final score Warriors 116 Mavs 95.  

The elephant in the room
Prior to the game studio ESPN host Michelle Beadle addressed the Trump election with co-hosts and former players Jalen Rose and Chauncey Billups.  I’m going to shorten their response and paraphrase much of it.  Rose said; “Tom Brady (Patriots quarterback) failed to go to the White House while Barack Obama was president.  Brady said he had another commitment at the time the Patriot team was invited.  

Don’t be surprised if you see a number of black and brown NBA and NFL players do the same thing.”  Billups stated; “My 82-year old grandmother grew up in Mississippi imagine what she’s seen in her lifetime.  She had a bad feeling about the election; I had to apologize to her.”  With the National Anthem protest currently going on don’t be surprised.   

The Second Battle of New York
I’m not referring to the presidential candidates from the city.  This time it’s the basketball court as the Brooklyn Nets meet the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden.  Neither team has gotten off to the start hoped, Phil Jackson concerned because the Knicks are not utilizing the triangle offense.  I don’t remember who made the statement but it was said; “Maybe Phil should be coaching the team.”  As for the Nets Jeremy Lin is out of the lineup, the Knicks are 2-4 while the Nets have registered a 3-4 record.  Carmelo Anthony (22 points) and Kristaps Porzingis (21 points) led the Knicks in a 110-96 victory.