Friday, November 4, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

I’m gonna stick with basketball
Unlike those who work for ESPN and other media I’m going to call myself out.  The other day with a 3 games to 1 lead I believed ‘The Fat Lady” was tuning up preparing to sing for the Cubs. Believeland would celebrate its second championship in the short space of six months.  Well after a 108-year wait in the voice of the late Cubs broadcaster Harry Carey; “Cubs win, Cubs win. “  This time it’s the greatest prize in baseball a World Series Championship. Congratulations are in order Cubs fans, as I indicated in the headline I’m going to stick with a sport I’m more familiar with----basketball.

He’s finally landed???
The Nets Jeremy Lin’s journey has bounced around as much as a basketball. Lin played one season with the Warriors and then had a break-out year with the Knicks.  It then became a two year excursion with the Rockets one year with the Lakers, one with the Hornets.  The Nets become team NBA team number six for the point guard.  The question is can he play basketball? I believe the answer is probably yes however it‘s my belief the brief sojourn with the Knicks cast a shadow over him he is just now escaping.  

Lin burst on the scene that year with the Knicks and the New York media fell in love with him. He’s got talent however they forced much of the public to believe he was greater than he was. He’s back in New York this time less visible but still Jeremy Lin.  The pressure has likely lessened this time; he’s not expected to save the franchise.  He’s just suppose to play hard (which he always exhibited) and provide leadership as a point guard.

I can eyeball you
Most of you are familiar with ESPN basketball analyst Doris Burke, back in the day she played basketball at Providence player.  Celtic guard Isaiah Thomas had and outstanding game against the Bulls, he was called on for a post-game interview by Burke.  After asking the usual questions she thanked Thomas and said; “Great smile (Thomas) and I like looking eye to eye.”  At the time Burke played she was listed as a 5-8 guard, we have no idea if she was wearing high heels which meant she had a height advantage over Thomas.  I hope this isn’t considered denigrating but I thought Burke’s comment was funny.  

The return
For Derrick Rose the return is not on the court he was there last year.  The return is to All-Star form.  After missing major portions of three seasons he was on the court last year for 66 games.  Although his numbers were adequate missing from his game was the MVP Rose of 2011. Nobody stated out loud but I believed Bulls management grew tired of waiting on Rose to return to form.  Sometimes we fail to realize when the body is healed it takes more time for the mind to heal.  

I know this is football but be patient, I once read an account of Bears running back Gayle Sayers. Sayers had returned from a knee injury although the speed was still there he failed to make the cuts he did previously.  A coach pulled him aside and pointed this fact out to him Sayers admitted to himself he didn’t have the confidence in his knee.  The same situation might exist for Derrick Rose; it was likely time for the trade.  Knick fans can be brutal at times however I believe they will be patient for a time.  Welcome to the Big Apple Derrick Rose.