Tuesday, July 10, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective

No explanation required
I am guilty of making an explanation at a time none is required.  Example, word came late Sunday afternoon on July 1 LeBron James had decided to join the Lakers.  On Monday I dressed put on a Laker polo shirt which is sometimes my habit, a stranger in the store I was shopping spotted me.  “You must be a Laker fan” I smiled and said yes.  I added, “I’ve been a Laker fan longer than yesterday.”  I thought afterwards I didn’t owe him an explanation yet I offered one anyway LOL.      
Shocked
These are a few events I could state I’d be shocked if they were to occur.  Mercedes-Benz reducing their top of the line model to $20,000, me or a family member winning the lottery would be shocking.  Finally, the NBA returning to Kansas City, yes, I would be shocked.  LeBron James leaving the Clippers, well that’s not exactly a shock. 
I stated my belief before the decision was made by LeBron I believed there was a 60% chance LeBron would re-sign with the Cavs.  Yes, I can admit I was surprised but I’d hardly use the word shocked.  Guess who was shocked or at least that’s what he indicated in an interview, Cavs coach Tyronn Lue.  I was surprised to hear the coach use the word to describe his thoughts.  I don’t imagine LeBron would have discussed his future intentions with Lue but the word he used to describe the series of events is a mystery to me. 
Laker update
Brook Lopez signed a 1-year contract with the Bucks, this SoCal native is headed to Milwaukee after but one year.  I’m sure somebody somewhere will miss Lopez I won’t.  I will miss Julius Randle, he was tough plus he scored and rebounded the basketball.  Rebounding the ball was not a strong suit for Lopez (4 a game) despite standing 7 feet tall and 268 pounds. 
I’ve said it previously I wasn’t a big LeBron fan although I’ve always acknowledged his talent.  Rajon Rondo is talented too however it’s reported he’s been a cancer at several stops.  Rondo must prove to me he’s turned over a new leaf.  It’s only summer league basketball so I will not get too excited, if Moe Wagner and Svi Mykhailiuk can shoot half as good as exhibited thus far they should prove valuable additions to the team.     
This is a one-sided discussion
For those outside the Big 12/SEC/KC market Udoka Azubuike at Kansas is 7 feet 1 inch tall and checks in at 280 pounds.  Mizzou’s Jontay Porter is 6 feet 11 inches and weighs 240 pounds, why the comparison you ask?  Both players “dipped” their toes into NBA waters but decided in favor of returning to Kansas and Mizzou.  Although both are near the same height they play separate positions, Azubuike is a center while Porter is a power forward.  This account is based on one of the local radio hosts who decided to break-down each players game.  If you’ve not seen either player Uzubuike is strictly a power player, I doubt he can shot much beyond 10 feet.  On the other hand, Porter will drift out to the 3-point line and managed to shoot a fair percentage. 
How this host can conclude one player has more an upset than another is beyond me.  The game is not new but consider sophomore Azubuike is from Lagos Nigeria with just a few years played.  Porter might have played the game longer however Porter is headed into his sophomore year technically he’s a freshman having re-classified in high school.  We are discussing a starter (Azubuike) versus a sixth-man (Porter), how’s that fair to compare the two?  I’m disappointed in this host, I thought he knew basketball and was aware of the difference in positions each played.  It’s clear NBADraft.net doesn’t concur with the view of this radio host.  In the 2019 mock draft they have Jontay at 15 in the first round and Azubuike number 46 in the second round.