Monday, October 29, 2018




I was in church
My iPhone was on vibrate so I didn’t disturb the service at the time the alert came in.  I quickly looked at it and discovered reports were circulating the Cavs had fired Ty Lue.  Since it wasn’t confirmed I didn’t take a great deal of stock.  By the time I arrived home and check sources it was official, the Cavs had fired Mexico (MO) and Raytown guy Lue.  This is unconfirmed however another report indicated Kansas City Kansas coach Larry Drew would take over on an interim basis.  The Cavs are 0-6 as this written however I’d like to ask owner Dan Gilbert one question. Mr. Gilbert, what did you expect from a team which lost the best player in the NBA?  You couldn’t give Lue more than 6 games.  
Gilbert is one of those owners I believe who meddles in the affairs of HIS team far too much.  Did you note the all caps, the Cavs are his team however his track record in hiring and firing coaches is not good?  Gilbert purchased the team in March 2005, since that time there have been 6 head coaches (5 if you count Mike Brown who was hired and fired twice).  Later I read a USA Today piece which indicates the number of coaches is actually 7 rather than the 6  I indicated.  In addition I failed to mention the front office, the Cavs are on general manager number 5 since Gilbert purchased the team.  After the season Gilbert will hire another coach, unless the new hire can turn the team around quickly he too will be standing in the unemployment line. 
Interesting observation
I hate to admit this, knowledge emanating from the Fox Sports program Speak for Yourself with Whitlock and Wiley.  A discussion on the Thunder and Russell Westbrook, after discussing his poor shooting one of the panelist made this statement.  Nobody works harder than Westbrook, but he doesn’t always play smart.”  I’m going to read between the lines, I don’t believe anyone was questioning his intelligence just his decision making. 
I believe the decision making is my issue as well, example 3-point shooting.  Any percentage above 37% is considered good, in his 11-year NBA career he’s never eclipsed that number.  In the 2016-17 season Westbrook shot 34% behind the line other years its been much lower.  So, there you have it, the Thunder will never win a championship if Westbrook continues to play in this manner.  I’m sure he wants to win but unless he’s willing to make a change in his playing style a championship is out of the question. 
Business Law 101 & 102
Prior to a discussion of legal matters, I always want to clarify my official knowledge.  My major required l Business Law 101 and 102 which I completed more years ago than I can remember.  The New York trial has concluded, although judgment has been rendered the defendants are yet to be sentenced.  What about the schools, what I’ve read Kansas appears to be the most vulnerable, but this is where I become puzzled.  I read the comments of a U.S. Attorney who handled a prior play for pay scheme. 
Cory Maggette received payment from his AAU coach that Duke had no knowledge, the school reported itself and the NCAA didn’t penalize Duke.  This is where I become confused, to my knowledge what qualifies as self-reporting?  High profile Billy Preston was admitted to school although he practiced with the team never played due to questions.  Preston would leave for Europe where he began a pro career, as for Silvio De Sousa that appears to be a far different story.  De Sousa played 15 regular season and 5 post-season games for Kansas.  This is a case of more questions than answers, I cannot provide any conclusion.