Saturday, October 20, 2018



Why the difference?
You might be asking why am I treating a Laker loss differently than one by the Sixers?  Glad you asked, hopefully this doesn’t appear to be an excuse although I’m sure a few will believe it to be just that.  Consider this fact, the Lakers had practice and LeBron and new members in a limited number of games during the pre-season.  The Sixers with a few exceptions came into the season with the same team with first round playoff success last season.  The Lakers are basically a new team besides LeBron, check the roster to confirm my statement and see how many teammates were acquired over the summer.  Despite having an perceptible mix of veterans and youth the Lakers are a WIP (work in progress). 
LeBron had an outstanding debut in Purple and Gold, 26 points 12 rebounds and 6 assists in the 128-119 loss to the Blazers.  The Lakers have no problem scoring (less 3-point shooting) it’s the defense which must be tweaked.  Lost in the LeBron first game was the outstanding effort (in my view) from newcomer Rajon Rondo.  He registered 13 points along with 11 assists, we are anxiously awaiting the commentary by LaVar Ball.  His son’s butt was planted firmly on the bench.  How about this for a rumor, Lonzo Ball an unknown Laker player in a trade for the Blazers Damian Lillard.  If you caught me a month or so ago I would have said Ball is my man, with Rondo’s play last night now I’m not so sure.  In summation I like LeBron’s comment, “Team chemistry is not like instant oatmeal.”

Speculation
I’ve said it in the past and I will repeat it, I can speculate with the best of them.  This is going to cause Dub fans to be upset with me but here goes, barring major injuries the Warriors are my pick to win the 2019 NBA championship.  As for 2020 that’s a completely different animal, the run will conclude based on several factors. 
Draymond Green-Sacrificed $$$$ for the team to sign Durant, now it is likely he wants to get paid.  

Klay Thompson-The sharpshooter claims he wants to remain but free-agency looming?  Dad played for the Lakers, I wonder.  
Andre Iguodala-The energy guy will have one more calendar year under his rung, he will be 36 by then.
The upside Kevin Durant and Steph Curry should still be in their prime, the chief question what does Boogie Cousins bring to the table and will he return to play at an All-Pro level?  With David West retired can the remainder of the supporting cast play a vital role again.  I could be wrong (I’ve been wrong before) the 2019-20 version of the Warriors could prove just as lethal as those past teams, we shall see what develops.   
The countdown is on
As this is written there are exactly 17 days and unknown number of minutes and seconds to commence play.  The reference is the beginning of college basketball November 6, 2018, there are several freshmen I’m anxious to see how they adapt to the college game.  I’m not expecting them to be the second coming of any player just watch them perform at this level.  They are not in any order and there are probably several omitted.
Zion Williamson-Duke
Bol Bol-Oregon
R.J. Barrett-Duke
Romeo Langford-Indiana
Cameron Reddish-Duke
It might appear Duke basketball has cornered the 2018 prospect list and they have in a sense.  I certainly don’t wish to appear I’m setting the bar too high for these freshmen, I just want to see if they are able to adapt themselves to this level of competition    
I was surprised   
I thought I knew everything there was to know about the late George Mikan.  We know how the Big Man was largely responsible for the evolution of pro basketball.  Although “only” 6 feet 10-inch players his height often failed to play at a high level.  Mikan began his basketball career in the National Basketball League playing for the Chicago Gear, the owner wanted his team in another league however the league folded and the Chicago team as well.  The players were distributed throughout the league and Mikan became a member of the Minneapolis Lakers. 
The owner of the Lakers (different owner) left the NBL and moved his Lakers into the Basketball Association of America.  A few years later the NBL merged with BAA becoming today’s National Basketball Association, did I confuse you with all the moves?  I always believed other than DePaul University the Lakers were the only team Mikan ever played for.  In addition, I didn’t realize in Mikan’s illustrious career he’d played in 3 professional leagues which earned him enshrinement in the Naismith and College Basketball Hall of Fame.