Monday, November 19, 2018



We are accustomed
To International players being drafted in the NBA, we are accustomed to those from the African continent.  He might be the first, Sekou Doumbouya is listed as a possible lottery pick in the 2019 NBA draft by 5 different mock sites.  Doumbouya is from the West African nation of Guinea and I believe will be the first NBA player from this nation.  He’s a 6-foot 9-inch 230 pound forward and plays for Limoges CSP in the European League.  Mock drafts are reliable not necessarily in order but who is drafted, if Doumbouya decides in favor of the NBA don’t be surprised to hear his name called next June.  
Not a winter guy
I grew up in the Midwest, I’ve experienced snow and ice in winter since I was a small child.  Despite this fact it is the best time for me because of basketball.  In addition to the opportunity to see games in person there is television.  I have the choice of viewing a game 7 days and nights a week.  Depending on the evening team I’ve watched a college game and later an NBA game or vice-versa. 
Sometimes it’s been a college double-header or one from the NBA.  Weekends are just as interesting depending on my schedule.  If my Saturday is free, I can begin viewing college games at 11:00 a.m. Central Time all day with the last one beginning at 9:00 p.m.  In closing I would add the national telecast of high school games plus the McDonalds and Jordan Classic games.  Despite the fact I’m not a winter guy it really is the best time of the year for me. 
Simple words require an explanation at times
Allow me to explain, NBA games on League Pass and NBA TV we are listening to local broadcasters.  These boys and girls are paid by the team, their views are sometimes slanted in favor of the “home team.”  Anxious to see Luka Doncic in action I’m watching a Mavs game, Doncic is shooting good and distributing the basketball.  He even managed to play good defense against the opposition.  The color analyst said to his broadcast partner, “Doncic is good although he lacks athleticism.” 
The comment caught me off guard, I thought what the heck is he talking about.  I believed the idea was to shoot the ball in the basket rebound the ball and play defense.  Some are better than others in these three areas.  There was a guy from French Lick Indiana who certainly had limited athletic skills, Larry Bird managed to get by.  Same for his chief advisory from Lansing Michigan, Magic Johnson.  Dribble shoot it and rebound the ball if you do those efficiently I doubt if anyone should seriously question athletic skill. 
You can’t always tell  
We are not sure of his height, Wikipedia claims Nikola Jokic stands 6 feet 10 inches tall.  ESPN.com’s NBA page says he stands 7 feet tall while Yahoo.com list him as 6 foot 10 also.  We don’t know his height however the 41st pick in the second round of the 2014 NBA draft can play.   He was chosen in the middle of the second round by the Nuggets, you tellin’ me there were 40 players in that draft considered better than the 23-year old Serbian. 
Some might be surprised as his rapid accession to the upper talent level of the NBA, now entering his 4th year his numbers have risen each of his first three years.  As this is written the Nugget center is scoring at a 23.4 point and 10.6 rebound a game clip.  Jokic is skillful with the basketball too, his 6.2 assists are the highest number for a center in the NBA.  See, you thought as I did before research Boogie Cousins was the best passing center in the league, the Nuggets managed to draft a diamond in the rough.