Thursday, September 8, 2016

BASKETBALL FROM A FANS PERSPECTIVE

Hall of Fame
On Friday Allen Iverson will be enshrined in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.  Can I use the term “enigma” to describe Iverson?  Dictionary.com indicates one of the definitions is “A person of puzzling or contradictory character.”  To this day I don’t believe he was a bad guy but to much of the sports world that’s image he often projected.  Over the course of his NBA career I never read or heard a negative word from him regarding any coach. Even the famous rant on practice wasn’t necessarily aimed at Larry Brown.  Iverson and Tiny Archibald pound for pound might have been the toughest two to ever play in the NBA.  

Over 24,000 points scored and this might be shocking to some over 5,000 assists (6.2 per game).  He looked for his shot first but that didn’t prevent him from passing the basketball. The 2000-01 season might have been the best in his career as he led the 76ers to the NBA Championship finals.  They would lose against the Lakers but Iverson was outstanding as he led the way for his team.  He would go on to play for the Nuggets and several other NBA teams before finally retiring in 2011.  Iverson might have been the toughest “little” man I ever saw play in the NBA.  

Daddy says
We’ve witnessed video of 16-year old Shareef O’Neal in action however we are yet to see 13 year old brother Shaquir yet.  Is it just a proud daddy talking or does Shaquille O’Neal speak the truth?  Shareef stands 6-9 and probably like most children continue to grow he could reach 7 feet just like his dad.  

As for Shaquir we have no height or skill set to compare with his older brother.   “Shaquille O’Neal says his sons will both definitely make the NBA someday” pretty bold statement by the “Big Aristotle” don’t you think?  On the other hand this is Shaq talking he might not have been the best conditioned athlete when he played but he should know talent.  

It’s the Pit
When I began this research project I came across the name WisePies Arena.  I have no idea what WisePies is the building will always be The Pit to me and others.  For years I remember viewing games from the University of New Mexico, my seat was in front of my television so I had no conception of the outside portion of the building.  The Pit was just another college basketball arena to me although I was told UNM had a clear advantage playing in the building. The first time I journeyed to Albuquerque I’m driving down Interstate 25 attempting to find my hotel and I see a sign pointing out the UNM.  

Driving a little further (I’m unsure what direction I was traveling) I look off to the left side of the interstate and see a building with little of it protruding above ground.  My first thought; “That’s got to be The Pit.”  Years later I would return to a re-furbished arena with more of the building now above ground.  In any event it seemed as though walking into the arena the steps went straight down.  It’s been said opposing teams would often be intimidated by rowdy and robust UNM crowds often hearing loud cheering (or boos) raining down on them above.  Although the building has been remodeled it’s my belief The Pit (sorry folks) remains one of those bastions of college basketball everyone should see at least once.  

Headed to the NBA?
The NBA Draft contained Zhou Qi the 43rd pick in the second round of the 2016 draft by the Rockets.  Wang Zhelin would later become the 57th pick by the Grizzlies.  Later in August Yi Jianlian would return to the NBA signed as a free-agent by the Lakers.  We are not sure at this point if Zhou and Wang are headed to NBA training camps in September this we do know after a period of absence basketball talent from China is once again in the NBA.    

It should be noted all three of the above are 7-footers; the next player from China just might be a guard.  The name is Guo Ailun and he’s a 6-4 point/shooting guard from Liaoyang Liaoning Province China.  The only issue for Guo at this point is his shooting skill; he needs work in that area in order to be ready for the NBA.  This is no declaration Guo is talented enough for the NBA, don’t be shocked or surprised if you hear his name called in the 2017 NBA Draft.