Friday, September 2, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Oh ya!
I have stated on more than one occasion ESPN provides valuable information.  They are totally wrong at times however it’s impossible to prove this one incorrect at this stage.  They make projections for the 2016--17 season and predict the Lakers to finish in last place.  Because this is an ESPN Insider article I have no idea of the projected win total.  I am the eternal optimist and I truly believe they will win more than the 17 they had last season.  ESPN provided you their number I’m going to provide you with mine which are three projected win totals:

25 wins-the lowest win total satisfactory to me
30 wins-real progress and on the road to improvement 
35 wins or more-would exceed my projection next stop playoffs 

In closing I will admit I was over zealous last season.  I saw changes last season especially with a Kobe return I believed would make for more than 17 wins.  Turns out I was wrong, I could be wrong here that’s why I’m attempting a more cautious approach for 2016-17.

Champions Classic
A college basketball tournament featuring the best of the best you renew it. The tournament first played in 2011 has been renewed through 2019. November 15 Duke will face Kansas and Kentucky will be matched against Michigan State.  The game will be played at one of the mainstays of college basketball Madison Square Garden.  We can rest assured the Tuesday evening game will be available on one of the networks.

He’s frustrated
The Heat’s Chris Bosh has been sidelined missing portions of two seasons. Last year it was a blood clot in his leg that sent him to the sidelines shortly before the All-Star break.  He’s admitted frustration with the Heat organization as he attempts a return to the court.  I have no medical background as I’ve indicated in the recent past.  My little bit of information tends to make me believe blood clots are a serious issue.  I read about the death of Celtic Reggie Lewis and witnessed video of Loyola Marymount’s Hank Gaithers collapsing on the court.  The death of Lewis and Gaithers was attributed to a heart condition, my knowledge says couldn’t a blood clot in the leg move to Bosh’s heart.  I don’t wish to read or hear of one more players death from playing the game.

His jeans  genes
“Jumping” Joe Caldwell is a name unknown to most unless you know basketball history.  He was a 6-5 athlete who played his college ball at Arizona State; in the NBA he was drafted by the Pistons but played for the Hawks when St. Louis was home.  He would continue play with the team in Atlanta, the last five years was spent in the ABA with the Carolina Cougars and Spirits of St. Louis.  Caldwell would go on to score over 12,000 points and average 16 ppg along with 5.3 rebounds.  

Caldwell is now a grandfather but one with a talented grandson.  Marvin Bagley is currently Rivals number one prospect in the Class of 2018, the 6-10 youngster has a significant number of schools recruiting him.  The Chatsworth (CA) resident has made no decision regarding college however Arizona State his grandfather’s school is on his list.  This should be no indicator of talent whether we are discussing college or the NBA but he can play.

The author
I thought his statement was funny when I read it, Kareem Abdul Jabbar said; “I wanted to be a writer but basketball got in the way.”  Of course he was half joking however many might be unaware Kareem is an astute and scholarly person.  As for his basketball skills he’s the All-Time leading scorer in the NBA.  Since his retirement he’s become prolific writer penning a number of works.  

I’m inserting a disclaimer; the number of books mentioned might be incomplete. According to the information I uncovered Kareem has written or co-authored 10 books.  One of his books “On the Shoulders of Giants; my Journey through the Harlem Renaissance” has been translated into an audio book.