Sunday, September 11, 2016

BASKETBALL FROM A FANS PERSPECTIVE

I hope this is not true
Doc Rivers is not one of my favorite coaches, I don’t hate him I just one of a small number who believe he is overrated as a coach.  I just read a story by Zach Harper of CBSSports.com which I hope is his imagination at work.  We are two months down the road from the Kevin Durant sweepstakes however Harper’s account of what might have occurred is well you make your own judgment  

“They (the Clippers) were going to renounce all their free agents, trade away recent draft picks and move the other guys like J.J. Riddick, who were under contract.”  To further complicate this process “Paul and Griffin would have to opt out taking more favorable deals in 2017”  Harper claims this was doable but would require the Durant financials to work out too.  I have no method to verify if this occurred if it would be approved by the league.    

$$$
Numerous times athletes made news regarding their financial shortcomings.  In a number of instances it’s the athlete who is the victim.  That’s the case with recently retired Tim Duncan.  In January 2015 Duncan filed a lawsuit against his former financial adviser. Between 2005 and 2013 Duncan estimates he lost at least $25 million dollars through misrepresented transactions.  Duncan is not the first athlete to lose money in a similar manner.       

Kemper Arena
This is written Friday evening and the 10:00 p.m. news is Kemper Arena received historic preservation status.  What is the status you ask according to Wikpedia; “An endeavor that seeks to preserve, conserve, and protect buildings, objects, landscapes or other artifacts of historical significance?”  The former home:

* NBA Kings
* NHL Scouts 
* 1988 NCAA Championship
* College basketball
* MSL Comets 
* 1976 Republican Convention 
* Concerts, circus, American Royal Livestock & Rodeo
* Motocross 

The arena is saved from the wrecking ball, the City of Kansas City (MO) the designation was a condition of the building being sold to local interests.  The new owners plan on converting the arena into a multi-use sports venue with emphasis on youth activities; it will become the Mosaic Arena

Shaq
I was at a high school football game on Friday night; I didn’t set my DVR so I missed all the Hall of Fame introductions and speeches except for Shaquille O’Neal.  The gregarious Shaq had many stories but one I’d read previously I‘d like to cover.  Shaq’s father was in the Army and stationed in Germany, Dale Brown then LSU coach was conducting a basketball camp. Shaq asked the coach for help working on his body Brown said; “How long have you been in the Army?”  He answered “I’m not in the Army I’m only 13 years old“(although he stood 6-9). Shaq claimed Brown offered him a scholarship on the spot.

Go ahead and retire 
I’m unsure why this is news however I’ll give you my take.  It appears Paul Pierce is unsure if he will return to the Clippers for season 19.  For a player headed to the Naismith Hall of Fame he certainly didn’t have HOF numbers last season.  Keep in mind he’s playing a reserve role now but 6.1 ppg and 36% from the floor certainly is insufficient.  

If Pierce decides to retire the Clippers release him and he signs a 1-day contract to retire a Celtic. Where are all those folks who kept telling me Kobe Bryant needed to retire? They are strangely quiet now; could it be a hate thing rather than production?  A comparison from last season, Kobe averaged 17.6 ppg shooting the same 36% from the floor of Pierce.  Granted Kobe was a starter versus Pierce who was in a reserve role most of the season.