Saturday, September 17, 2016

BASKETBALL FROM A FANS PERSPECTIVE

I can hope can’t I?
There was a teaser on this morning’s news.  The news reader said; “A major announcement of a new sports team will be made this morning. “  Needless to say with my ear close to the ground I heard no rumors of an NBA team moving here.  Could we be getting an NBA D-League team, I’ve thought for a number of years Sprint Center would be an ideal site.    

In any event I wasn’t going to hold my breath waiting for the announcement.  The noon news indicated “Kansas City would soon have a franchise in an indoor football league.” We’ve had indoor league football in the past and I believe the league feel apart.  There is another factor here indoor football is a bastardized version of “real” football.  I place it in the same category of soccer (football) the game is an outdoor one not inside.

Basketball in a football stadium
I believed previously the 1988 NCAA Championship might have been the last played in an arena. Seating in Kemper Arena (Kansas City) was not increased until years later so there could have been no more than 17,500 spectators in attendance.  Later In 1990, 1994 and 1996 the championship game was held in basketball arenas the other years it was held in football stadiums which became the future of the NCAA Basketball Championship.    

The NCAA moved its championships games to football stadiums placing a basketball court in the middle of the field.  Last years championship game between North Carolina and Villanova was held at the NRG Stadium in Houston which also serves as home to the NFL Texans.  There is one reason alone for moving to football stadiums---revenue.  Are you curious regarding the largest attended game in the nation?  That would be 108,713 souls who attended the 2010 NBA All Star game in Dallas.  The game was played in Cowboy Stadium home of the NFL Cowboys.  

From 1993-2002 the Spurs played in the Alamodome which can hold up to 40,000 for basketball. Similar to other domes this one is a combo football/baseball/concert venue for the city of San Antonio.  The Astrodome was home to the NBA Rockets (1971-1975) the Houston Cougars (1965-1997) and the NFL Oilers from 1968-1996.  

How to measure success
You didn’t really believe I had the answer did you?  Be patient a moment while I attempt to lay out this account.  For years at least under Coach K. Duke basketball has been among the best in the nation.  We can agree on the statement but what about success at the next level?  I’ve read several accounts indicating Duke players have accomplished very little at the NBA level.  Let’s take a quick glance, we must exclude Kyrie Irving he’s only beginning his 6th year in the NBA all indications point to a very successful career.  

Also excluded are Jabari Parker and Jahlil Okafor they have even lesser time in the NBA. As for the others Elton Brand is entering year 17, Luol Deng in his 12th year, Mike Dunleavy Jr. in his 14th year.  We can debate the degree of success however we cannot argue regarding longevity.  There are others omitted however the list of Duke players in the NBA totals 64 considerably more than a number of programs across the country.  Early entry affects Duke basketball as it does other programs.  Who knows Austin Rivers and others might have turned out to be a better player if he’d remained at Duke for at least another year.

The plan (right now) is to remain at home???
At the time the NBA pre-season schedule was announced I said; “I’m there.”  The closer we get to October 8 the less likely I am going to attend.  I’d love to see Karl-Anthony Towns, Ricky Rubio plus the “new” Miami Heat in person.  Allow me a brief explanation. If you’ve been reading Words any length of time you know I love basketball especially the NBA variety.  The Lakers are not one of the teams coming to Sprint Center that‘s strike one.  

Strike two is the argument with myself paying for an expensive ticket to a 
pre-season game.  Rather than drive about 14 miles and 30 minutes to Sprint Center I think I’m going to drive 350 miles and about five hours to Oklahoma City.  If I’m going to pay for an expensive seat it might as well be for a regular season game.  Notice I’m leaving myself some wiggle room I might change my mind who knows.