Friday, April 21, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

“Don’t let your mouth write a check your body can't cash"
I’m taking back a promise, the promise I made to avoid commentary on LaVar Ball.  “The worst thing to happen to basketball in the last hundred years” so stated George Raveling Nike Executive regarding the elder Ball.  Phil Knight founder of the Nike brand said earlier “If he can get it, get it”. “It’s a little steep” (referring to the $1 billion dollar price tag the elder Ball has mentioned).  Knight further stated he believes Lonzo Ball is a talent and Nike has interest.  Let’s come back to earth a moment, let’s just say XYZ company decides to pay the $1 billion dollar figure.  

The agreement cannot be consummated this summer----why?  The older brother will have been drafted by an NBA team and might have already signed a player contract.  In the meantime LiAngelo will be close to entering his freshman year at UCLA and LeMelo will be preparing for his junior year at Chino Hills High School.  If the two younger brothers sign a contract “poof” no more amateur status for either one, I doubt LaVar Ball is that brain-dead.

Lonzo’s situation is totally different he’ll sign a shoe contract however it won’t be for the price his dad’s been touting.  Could there be some sort of payment negotiated under the table to avoid impacting the younger brothers---that’s possible.  Whatever the arrangement if Nike is unwilling would Adidas, Reebok, Under Armour or some other shoe company be willing to pay $1 billion dollars?  That’s the hotly debated question at this point, let’s say I have my doubts after hearing from Nike.  As for the title of this account it’s a lyric from The Dude a 1981 album recorded by Quincy Jones and I can think of few people other than LaVar Ball it fits. 
  
My basketball team
I don’t believe I provided an end of the season report our 2nd grade co-ed basketball team finished the season with a winning record.  I discovered several lessons, at 8 years or so most of my girls were actually better than the boys.  In addition I determined I had the ability to maintain the score in my head until a parent began tracking it for us.  All in all it was a great and surprising season for me.  Would I do it again---you bet I would, I loved teaching youngsters how to play the game.  Of our 8 member team only 2 played previously that’s the most thrilling part for me.  I cannot wait for next season to start again.

Off to Lativa
Elvis Kristaps Porzingis has left the building!  Well not quite although he is headed home soon. You remember the story reported earlier Porzingis failed to have an exit interview with Phil Jackson after the season concluded.  Porzingis claims nothing to see here----move on, “I love New York and says he wants to remain with the Knicks.”  I’m not sure who it might be however somebody is breathing easier after hearing that comment.  With that Porzingis is about to head home to Latvia. I‘ve said it previously and it bears repeating I‘d be happy for the Lakers to work out a deal for him.    
On the map
Columbia Missouri appears to be a destination as much as Lexington (KY), Lawrence (KS), Durham or Chapel Hill (NC).  Kevin Knox a 6-8 small forward and 5-star prospect on several sites was headed anywhere except Mizzou.  Mizzou has at least become a stop; Knox is on the way for a visit next week.  As with any prospect this is no commitment however the times are exciting. After the MPJR signing plus his personal recruiting efforts prospects are no longer flying over Columbia they are landing.  Later you will read a pro basketball offer for Knox which I found interesting.    
   
Overlooked
Robert Covington may never be an easily recognized NBA name.  He’s proven a point to date, if you have a dream don’t give up on it.  Covington enrolled at Tennessee State a small historically black college in 2009.  He was passed over in the 2013 NBA Draft despite four years of college ball behind him.  Covington would sign a contract with the Rockets to play for their summer league team, after being waived his next stop would be the D-League.  

In November 2014 he signed a free-agent contract with the Sixers and the rest is history, the 6-9 Covington is now the starting small forward for the Sixers.  Not being drafted, waived by the Rockets playing in the D-League.  Covington could have easily given up but sometimes beyond the talent we fail to see the heart of a champion.  Whatever Covington does going forward we know this he is a winner.