Sunday, April 9, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

No such thing
I had a philosophy professor in college; I can remember his words just like it was yesterday. “There is no such thing as an original thought, someone formulated E=mc2 in Aristotle’s time but it was left to Albert Einstein in the early 20th Century to prove it.”  Where am I going with this story you ask, as soon as I read Wichita State was leaving the Valley my next thought was UMKC needs to replace them in the conference this occurred somewhere around noon.  The Friday edition of Words had been published so I was forced to wait until early Saturday morning.    

I even shared my thoughts with a number of folks on Friday, it seemed within 45 minutes or an hour Blair Kerkhoff staff writer for the Kansas City Star wrote the same thing.  The difference he had access to the UMKC athletic director Carla Wilson for her reaction.  My account was posted April 8 12:20 a.m. central time, Kerkhoff’s story was in the Saturday morning edition of the paper. Anytime someone says trust me I become skeptical.  Trust me I posed the UMKC move first I had no contact with the AD.  

Congratulations
Russell Westbrook accomplished a feat many (me included) believed would never occur. Friday evening Westbrook completed a triple-double season only the second ever in the NBA. Oscar Robertson the first to accomplish the feat pronounced Westbrook the 2017 NBA MVP.   

A swift move  
Mizzou AD Jim Sterk has only been on the job since last September; we had little if any idea on how the former San Diego State AD would handle having to terminate or coach or adversity in the athletic department.  Sterk announced near the end of the basketball season Kim Anderson would not be returning to head the program.  Next objective locate a coach to replace Anderson, Mizzou is not a prime destination so it might take awhile to land a coach.  Boy was I wrong; names began circulating just as soon as Anderson was terminated.  One of those names was Cuonzo Martin serving as head coach at Cal; I was familiar with Martin but believed he would remain in the bright sunshine of California.  

Then the rumor mill began running unbridled, all day long we heard from a number different sources Mizzou had hired Martin and late in the day it was confirmed.  Two surprises, the first was the coach left Cal for Mizzou when he could have remained there.  Second surprise AD Sterk moved on this hire very quickly which is quite different from the past.  Although Sterk didn’t replace Mike Alden I believe Mizzou fans were not prepared for how quickly Sterk accomplished the task of hiring Martin over Alden‘s slower efforts.  The former East St. Louis Martin might have leaped at the opportunity to coach the Fighting Illini however he never had a chance.  We don’t know if this hire will be successful we do know Jim Sterk moves quickly to resolve matters.    

Re-visit
We discussed best Big Men in the NBA near the midway point of the season.  The season is winding down has your list changed?  Mine hasn’t changed however the order has and in a couple of instances one player has been omitted from my Top 10 however another name was added in his place.  This list below is in no particular order it represents several to consider.  Place them in your order or you might add one or two I omitted.  By the way I excluded Anthony Davis or Paul Gasol both are really power forwards.  I included Joel Embiid in my Top 10 although he didn’t finish the season.  


  • Hassan Whiteside
  • Boogie Cousins
  • Karl-Anthony Towns
  • Rudy Gobert
  • Clint Capela
  • Steven Adams
  • Joel Embiid
  • DeAndre Jordan   
  • Al Horford
  • Nikola Jokic

Surely Tacko Fall or other rookie centers is prepared to dual with the 10 above in the pivot.