Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

The Thunder  once
It’s entirely possible the Thunder could win the 2017 NBA Championship.  If they had this team of former Thunder players they certainly might stand more of a chance than the current edition.   

Center-Kendrick Perkins
PF-Serge Ibaka
SF-Kevin Durant
PG-Kevin Westbrook
SG-James Harden

Of course we realize Westbrook remains with the team as for the others.  Harden and Durant left in free-agency; Serge Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins were traded.  I don't remember who the Thunder received in exchange for these two however I believe Victor Oladipo arrived in the Ibaka trade.  I've read praises regarding the Thunder front-office but I question if they deserve some of the praise I've heard.  We must take into consideration the Thunder has reached a point they don't appear capable of rising any higher in the standings.   Maybe change should come in the front office first and then on the court.  

Recruiting
Jontay Porter is visiting Mizzou next week; the younger Porter is reported to be almost as talented as his brother.  Jontay is almost the same size (6-9 225 pounds) as brother Michael Porter Jr. Coach Cuonzo Martin hopes to lure the other Porter to Columbia too but there is another story.  

It’s been reported Jontay will reclassify and play alongside his brother this upcoming season.  
In other Mizzou recruiting news the school is in the hunt for Mark Smith a 6-5 225 pound shooting guard.  Smith is a Class of 2017 prospect and yet to announce his school of choice. He's from Edwardsville which is less than 30 miles from East St. Louis coach Martin’s hometown.  It will be interesting over the next month or so to see how all this plays out.  

“The Little Engine that could”
Remember the childhood story of the little train that had a daunting task in front of him, he was required to pull a huge load up a mountain.  The children’s story could actually be the Rockets point guard Patrick Beverly.  This Chicago native played his college ball at Arkansas but left after his sophomore year for the NBA.  Drafted late in the 2nd round of 2009 by my Lakers Beverly was immediately traded to the Heat.  

Over the next several years he would play for a number of Euro teams before catching on with the Rockets.  Even his 2013 time with the Rockets became tenuous as he was sent to the D-League at a point.  Beverly is firmly established as the Rockets point guard, he’s never going to be a guy who will wow you with his game.  One thing for sure every time I witness his play I’ll reflect on his journey to the NBA.  I can almost here him saying; “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.”

Come on man you can’t be serious
Please, please help me I need to quite switching to sports talk radio when I’m in my vehicle. Classic Rock, Classic R&B, Smooth Jazz or even listen to my tunes or plain silence.  I’m pleading with myself because I’m the only one who controls the station while driving, my wife could care less what I listen too.  

Due to our close proximity to nearby Lawrence and the Jayhawks we receive questionable commentary.  The radio host questioned why KU’s Title Nine coordinator called for an investigation of the LeGerald Vick incident with a female basketball player because the Lawrence Police did not arrest Vick or investigate the incident.  No further commentary is required on my part for this apparently short-sided radio host.