Sunday, April 16, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

“Should I stay or should I go”
Hamidou Diallo might take note of the 1982 hit tune by the rock group The Clash “Should I stay or should I go.”  Should Diallo declare for the 2017 draft or head for Lexington Kentucky?  Last year Thon Maker was able to circumvent the rules by his high school class graduating the previous year.  In addition Maker would be 19-years old by the time of the the 2016 NBA Draft.  Diallo is a 6-5 shooting guard and claims similar status to Maker.  He‘s in the Class of 2017 although he graduated in 2016 from Putnam Science Academy.  Diallo’s signed a LOI to attend Kentucky however he just might dip his “toe in the water” and test the results.
.
I missed this story
Terrance Ferguson was overlooked by me I’m almost shocked.  Ferguson a 6-7 shooting guard from Dallas was originally slated to attend Alabama.  He de-committed and was headed to Arizona until he changed his mind once again.  This McDonald’s All-American decided instead to play professionally rather than become a one and done in college.  Ferguson signed and played for the Adelaide 36ers an Australian team in the National Basketball League.  No questions exist for Ferguson he’s eligible for the 2017 draft and should be an early first round choice.

Depends on your perspective
At the beginning I’ll inform you my wife doesn’t agree with my take, the irrepressible Charles Barkley struck once again.  I find myself at odds with a statement he’s made.  You might have read a previous account regarding the closing of the Palace of Auburn Hills home of the Pistons. Members of the TNT NBA crew were asked their memories of Detroit.  Barkley chimed in “I’ve never been to Detroit.”  In once sense I understand Barkley’s explanation, at the time Barkley first began play in the NBA the Pistons played in the Pontiac Silverdome (closed and since demolished) and later made the move to Auburn Hills.    

How about flying into Detroit, the airport is located in Romulus some 30 miles from the downtown portion of the city.  During his playing career Barkley played in those buildings, landed at the airport neither location lies inside the city limits of Detroit.  Okay I believe we all can understand that take but here’s mind.  I have relatives who live in a suburban portion of Dallas-Fort Worth.  I’ve seen Dallas on the drive through the city, can I say in truth I’ve never been to Dallas?  Same for Chicago I’ve driven through the city never stopped I guess technically I could make the same statement however why?

Bits n Pieces
We think of China and basketball immediately we think of Yao Ming and Kobe Bryant.  Kobe is not Chinese but he’s very popular in China.  The game has a much longer history than the aforementioned players.  Research indicates the game was actually introduced to China in 1896 by a government official named Pengiane.  Basketball had just been “invented” a short six years prior (1891) by Dr. Naismith in Springfield (MA).  

Everyone must have a starting point for that job they desire.  For years Patrick Ewing wanted a head coaching job, he’s finally been rewarded being hired by Georgetown.  I’m already hearing from critics claiming this was not a good hire.  What’s a good hire versus a poor one, until the person fails you have no idea of their ability to succeed.  The loud yelling has died down but we heard the same comments at the time Jeanie Buss hired Magic Johnson.  How can we presume someone is unable to accomplish a job unless they work it?  This is Larry Laker; “You cannot steal second base if your foot is planted on the first base bag.”     

This I believe would be extremely funny to me.  June 22nd the Lakers draft Markelle Fultz, Josh Jackson or Jason Tatum.  This is not a talent issue rather an attitude issue for me.  Of course nothing is set in stone at this point we have no idea if the Lakers even secure the lottery pick. Someone’s father might be quite upset if the Lakers fail to draft his son.