Monday, April 16, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective

Be on the lookout
I’m working on a project, I’m gathering a group of former players, officials and plain basketball fans.  We are going to cover the FBI/Adidas story and what should be done in the future.  In addition, the issue of high school players in the NBA draft and other topics.  We should complete this in about a month but wanted to provide you advance notice. 

More help
Mizzou received more good news on Saturday evening.  Mark Smith a 6-foot 4-inch 215-pound combo guard made his commitment known, he chose Mizzou over several schools with offers.  The Illinois transfer will sit out the 2018-19 season but will have three years of eligibility remaining.  Smith was a Rivals Top 60 prospect in 2017 and Mr. Basketball for the State of Illinois that year. 

There were 16 programs across the nation (including Mizzou) with offers on the table, Smith choose to attend Illinois.  His freshman year was not as productive as hoped and he decided in favor of choosing another school.  I anticipate he will make a smooth transition into the offense and defense for Mizzou.  I haven’t seen him play but must depend on the Mizzou coaching staff who rate him a worthy prospect to add to Mizzou’s roster, welcome Mr. Smith.

Rumors
I’m sure before August 2018 there will be several reported trades, in some instances a trade or trades might be consummated.  This one from Bleacher Report is interesting because it involves the Spurs All-Pro athlete Kawhi Leonard.  According to the website the Clippers with a package of players are exploring a method to add Leonard to their roster.  It makes sense on several levels however I have questions. 

There are reservations on my part if the Clippers have enough resources to entice the Spurs, these are not the Clippers of 3 or 4 years ago.  They are minus Paul, Griffin and Reddick and several others.  In San Antonio Leonard has quietly indicated he wants a change of address.  My only question who do the Clippers trade besides DeAndre Jordan?  The Clippers have plenty of warm bodies but I’m unsure they can put together a package of players without including a third team.  Just my thoughts, what do you think?

The results
The Saturday afternoon and evening games proved quite interesting.  You can get the details from ESPN’s SportsCenter or NBA TV’s Gametime. 

Golden State a 113-92 winner over San Antonio, I didn’t know what to expect with no Step Curry.

Toronto won 114-106 over Washington, I believe the Raptors are a superior team the Wizards are yet to prove to me they are ready to be winners in the playoffs.

Philadelphia 130 Miami 103, this surprised I believe the Sixers will win the series I didn’t expect them to beat down the Heat.

New Orleans 97 Portland 95, Rajon Rondo seems to wear out his welcome everywhere.  On the surface he must love Alvin Gentry and his Pelicans teammates 17 assists.