Wednesday, April 25, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective

Sorry about that 
There was no Tuesday edition of Words eye view.  I wrote it however it wasn't published, there were powers at work beyond my control.  That's what it was....power, a branch from a tree in my backyard fell and took down my power line.  This occurred late afternoon on Monday, because a re-wire was necessary an electrician was required to complete the work before my power was returned early Tuesday evening.  Just about 24 hours with no television, no internet, no phone and no Words eye view.  

I can see the problem    
We tend to believe basketball minds could see a view different from fans, I guess it depends on which mind we speak of.  Fans of Russell Westbrook can tune out now because this is a critique of your main man as Ahmad Rashad would say.  I will go on record once again; the Thunder will NEVER WIN an NBA Championship.  Did you notice it’s in all caps, bold and underlined?  If we check out Westbrook’s scoring, rebound and assist numbers they look outstanding and they are. 

The only problem the Thunder earn a playoff berth every season and apart from one season are usually defeated by the opening or semi-final round.  Why do we suppose this occurs, we cannot simply blame this on one guy?  I beg to differ we can lay the blame at the feet of Russell Westbrook, over the course of his NBA career he’s never tailored his game to fit the existing talent surrounding him.  It was James Harden, then Serge Ibaka and Kevin Durant.  This season its Paul George and Carmelo Anthony. 

The debate is invalid for me
We have a Sunday night sports segment by one of the local stations in Kansas City.  The host serves as moderator for three media members.  Most of the discussion surrounds local sports although there is a departure on occasion.  Sunday night was an example, I must admit I had the sound muted working on Words eye view.  I turned on the sound just in time to hear one of the guests claim, “The NHL would be a better fit in Kansas City right now.” 

I’m guessing the question was posed regarding a possible NBA versus an NHL franchise.  My statement to you why is this even a point of discussion?  With the NFL Chiefs, the baseball Royals and Sporting Kansas City the sports dollar might be spread a little thin for a metro of 2 million plus citizens.  I excluded Mizzou and Kansas both schools being a short drive from the metro.  A better question is why are we discussing this non-issue? 

I guess I misunderstood
April 21 Luka Doncic submitted paperwork for entry in the 2018 NBA Draft.  I believe I must have misunderstood, the guard/forward has been listed on every mock draft site beginning immediately after the June 23, 2017 draft.  These same mock sites project Doncic at any pick from number 1 up to the number 5 selection.  Doncic from Slovenia plays for Real Madrid in the Euro League.  

Crunch these numbers
Bill Self and Kansas fans might find this interesting, I’m preparing for all the rocks and boulders tossed in my direction.  Up to play of the semi-final game versus Villanova the local radio and television guys were singing the praises of Self.  They mentioned his consecutive Big 12 conference winning record and other attributes.  Well consider this little jewel, it was mentioned Jay Wright at Villanova has won 136 games over the last four years, how many has Self won in that same period, 122.  Wright’s won two NCAA championships in three years what about Self?   There has been a single round of 32 appearance, two Elite Eight and one Final Four appearance.  Please inform us Dick Vitale who is the better coach?