Thursday, April 19, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective

The sky is not falling
Kassius Robertson arrived from Canisius as an unknown, Mizzou Nation (and the coaching staff) hoped he could play.  He certainly adjusted well becoming the team leader in scoring with 16.3 points per game.  The graduate student is gone now, it’s time to find another “Kassius Robertson.”  That might not be the case this season, one by one those on Mizzou’s brief list have committed to other schools.  The Courtney Ramey visit was yesterday but word on his decision might be at least two to three weeks from now.  Worse case scenario Ramey chooses another school and they swing and miss on the graduate student search…. what happens then? 

Xavier Pinson a legitimate point guard is on the way but he’s making the leap from high school to Division I, Jordan Geist led the team in assists (95) and returns for his senior year.  In addition, 6-foot 7-inch Kevin Puryear on occasion was able to bring the ball up court.  I would list forward Puryear as the “back-up, back up” point guard.  Then K.J. Santos arriving from Tallahassee Junior College could be a help, the 6-foot 7-inch Santos is a true wing player but might be able to handle the ball in spots as well.  Finally, should Courtney Ramey choose Mizzou my coaching fix might become null and void, see I told you ‘The sky is not falling.”

“I think I can, I think I can, well maybe I can’t!”
Some of you might be familiar with the children’s book “The Little Engine that Could.”  The engine had difficulty climbing a very steep hill with all the cars behind it.  The engine kept saying to itself, “I think I can, I think I can” mind over matter.  Well he managed to make it to the top of the hill but I’m unsure of the Wizards.  The Wizards are not in this story, what are you talking about?  

Every year on paper they look as though they are ready to compete, the Wizards always have a respectable won-loss total earning them a playoff berth.  Once the playoffs begin they tell themselves “I think I can, I think I can” but they can’t.  They flame out in the first or second round every season.  I’ve not followed them close enough to detect the issue.  John Wall, Bradley Beal and company certainly exhibit talent…. what is the missing element?

I have no idea what to expect
It seems since Words eye view first began publication I’ve moaned about one issue, no NBA basketball in Kansas City.  Well it ain’t the NBA but Kansas City does have a professional team.   The Kansas City Tornadoes of the North American Premier League began play in January.  A funny thing occurred, nobody paid any attention, with Kansas basketball dominating the news plus revitalized play by Mizzou the Pioneers have become an afterthought. 

Games originally scheduled for venerable Municipal Auditorium have now been move to a college arena in South Kansas City.  The current standings indicate the Tornadoes are 12-11 and in 4th place of the 8-team league.  League expansion is planned, my hope it doesn’t come anywhere near the ABA founded in 2000.  The ABA has 54 teams and 11 divisions, how in the world do they determine a champion.  Despite what might appear to be a negative report I plan on attending a game before the season ends and will provide you my impression of the Tornadoes.   

Thanks CBSSports.com/nba.com
I mentioned the three coaches fired since the end of the season, I was perusing  cbssports.com/nba site and discovered I’d missed several teams.  The Bucks, Suns and Grizzlies are all working with interim coaches.  The Bucks had fired Jason Kidd, same for the Suns relieving Earl Watson of his duties.  Earlier I’d written a complete account of the Grizzlies and the circumstance on replacing David Fizdale.  So, there are at least six NBA teams currently searching for a head coach.  By my count there are only six coaches on solid ground:

Steve Kerr-Golden State  
Gregg Popovich-San Antonio
Dwayne Casey-Toronto
 Brad Stevens-Boston
Brett Brown-Philadelphia
Tom Thibodeau-Minnesota

Ever seen video of a guy walking across hot burning coals?  That represents the balance of coaches, most are likely safe for now, but the playoffs are yet to be completed so questions remain.