Friday, April 20, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective

Erin Popovich
The world doesn’t know Erin Popovich, her family does especially husband Gregg long-time NBA coach.  After a lengthy illness the Spurs announced yesterday Erin Popovich had died.  Someone said: “This is a tough time for the coach in the middle of the playoffs.”  I could say anytime there is a death of a spouse it’s a particularly difficult time-period.  The two were married 40+ years and had two children and two grandchildren, R.I.P. Erin Popovich.

My response
A friend called me to task on my playoff take, he said: “I noticed you really went out on a limb saying the Cavs wouldn’t win but the Warriors would.”  There were a couple of reasons how I managed my conclusion.  The Cavs remain offensively strong and could compete with any team in the NBA, teams must play defense too which appears to be a mystery at times to this version of the Cavs. 

I’d picked the Warriors to win the championship and he thought I was “brave” there.  Despite the injuries that have plagued them most of the season they still appear superior to the Cavs.  On the other hand, I could be wrong, the Cavs advance and win the NBA Championship.  The Cavs complete the task of winning an NBA Championship because the Warriors lose to the Rockets.  It could turn out and I would be mistaken in my playoff assessment.  

No way
There was no way Cuonzo Martin would have been selected Coach of the Year.  I make that statement despite the fact I believe he should have won.  Take into consideration these facts. 

Mizzou's win total increased from 8 to 20
Michael Porter Jr. expected to lead the way played only 2 games
Two freshmen point guards transferred another dismissed during the season
Projected for a 5th place finish Mizzou finished in 4th place in the SEC
Earned a post-season berth for the first time since 2014

That says it all for me, I know you might not agree but if you’ve been in basketball purgatory you might understand why I applaud Cuonzo Martin’s season.   

This is different
There are reports the Knicks will interview Kenny Smith for the head coaching position.  Smith a Queens New York guy played for six teams during his NBA career, none had New York on the front of the jersey.  After Smith retired in 1997 he went to work almost immediately for TNT as an analyst.  I believe it might be safe to say far more people are familiar with Kenny Smith analyst than Kenny Smith the former NBA player.  Does he know basketball, of course he does?  I’m unsure if this is just a story or Smith might be really be interested in coaching the Knicks, we shall see.