Thursday, June 25, 2020


Basketball from a fan’s perspective

The future 
Collegiate basketball might be in better shape than the NBA, the season was shut down in early spring with no NCAA Championship winner being crowned, that was the downside.  The upside, unlike other professional and college sports basketball teams are not looking at the clock.  Normally practice for them begins at a point in October, by that time perhaps covid 19 will be at a point less detrimental than currently.  With play beginning in November college basketball has time to fully prepare for the 2020-21 season.   

Things we heard but not understood
Larry: “I thought I understood basketball.” 

Jim: “What’s confusing to you?”

Larry: “The announcer guy keeps talking about a pickle roll, what’s that?”

Jim: “He’s not saying pickle roll, he’s sayin’ “Pick and Roll.”   

Do we care
I admit I am guilty, sometimes the views of the talking heads upset me and force me to respond.  Members of the media probably have a 0% opportunity to read my critique of them however there is a larger question.  Do we care about their opinion on a subject?  Is Stephen A. Smith or Colin Cowherd’s opinion more valuable than ours? 

For several years, I have made one admission, members of the media have access to players which is a plus over us in the public arena.  Having an opportunity to dialogue with athletes fails to make them or anyone any smarter or more insightful.  I will continue to read and react however I refuse going forward to pay any attention to them.  I will solicit opinions and views of those around me and my research to formulate opinions.   

I am not sure how I feel
Not much is known regarding Donnie Tyndall, I had to check his resume prior to writing this account. Tyndall was hired by Chipola Junior College in Florida recently however there is a history.  The coach in a manner of many others was rising from Morehead State to Southern Miss and finally Tennessee.  Tyndall was fired at Tennessee from improprieties occurring while he headed the Southern Miss program.  An investigation indicated improper aid and academic fraud occurred while Tyndall coached at Southern Miss. 

The NCAA placed a 10-year show-cause on Tyndall, he could not be hired by an NCAA sanction school until he meets with the organization.  Memory fails me on the length of the punishment however Houston Coach Kelvin Sampson and Auburn’s Bruce Pearl experienced the same show-cause penalty.  A show-cause is not a death sentence, both veteran coaches mentioned were able to return and coach major colleges.  The only difference we believe their penalty was not as extensive as that facing Tyndall.