Friday, April 1, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

He’s not very bright
I will spend little time on the Lakers D’Angelo Russell; he was incredibly brainless for violating a confidence publicly no matter the content.  It’s my belief sports media has spent far too much time focusing on an issue that only affects the Lakers.  Russell’s apology to Nick Young and teammates goes a long-way, it’s up to them to accept or reject him going forward.

Sneaky
There have been few smiles or celebrations in Lakerland this season the team has struggled all year.  Over the course of my basketball history I’ve witnessed numerous steals.  I remember a game Celtic guard Danny Ainge stole the ball I believe from Magic Johnson and was racing down the court for a lay-up.  Johnson took off toward Ainge and returned the favor by stealing the ball from Ainge.  Laker reserve guard Marcelo Huertas had an unusual steal as well against the Heat. Check the link below and see if you agree.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vkqHZhjuhM

This is not the NBA
Mike Greenberg of ESPN trots out a number of hair-brained schemes at times this is the latest. Sidebar I don’t tweet I am unable to respond to him or Stephen A. Smith when they voice these strange scenarios.  As for Greenberg he wants to change the format of the NCAA Tournament; Greenberg wants a two of three game series to determine a champion.  My question might be why, ahead of time I believe there will be a record number of people tuning in on Monday to see who becomes NCAA Champion.  All this in his effort to ensure the best team wins; this makes no sense on several levels.

Arena battles
The preliminary design has been rolled out for the Bucks new arena.  This building will replace the BMO Harris Bradley Center which has served as home since 1988.  I read a number of fan letters in response to the story and a letter of complaint the project.  I’m unsure if those sending emails were Milwaukee Metro or not however their objection follows.

One in particular I focused on which I‘ll detail.  “Is this arena going to accommodate NHL hockey or did the NBA sabotage this place like they did to the arenas in Seattle, Brooklyn, Indianapolis, San Francisco, Phoenix, Salt Lake City and Charlotte?”   My question does the NBA have enough clout to keep a tenant out of the building?

If the city/county owns the arena it’s my belief the NBA must adhere to the owners would they have input on who occupies the building besides themselves?  As an owner doesn’t it make more sense to have 100 or so dates blacked out rather than 41 for an NBA team?

I’m unsure if Milwaukee wants NHL hockey but their AHL team signed a 10-year agreement with the present arena according to another.  The NHL and NBA have always competed during the same winter months however I’ve never viewed them as competitors have you?  This is what I discovered over the years NHL fans are casual NBA fans if at all and vice-versa.  It’s my belief the two are not vying for the same sports dollar just my thoughts.

Bits n Pieces   
Michael Porter Jr. is the number two player in the Class of 2017 in addition this 5-star prospect has Mizzou on his list of prospective schools.  There’s a clear reason why Father Tolton High School is 11 minutes drive time from Mizzou Arena.  Besides Mizzou there are 17 other schools on his list including the likes of Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and UCLA to name a few.

It’s easy to spend money that’s not yours that’s Stephen A. Smith.  I believe we all realize the Knicks are not very good.  This is Smith; “It would be in Carmelo Anthony’s best interest to waive his no trade clause----but for only four specific teams.  They are the Cavs, Clippers, Spurs or Heat”  It’s Smith belief these are the best teams to provide Anthony an NBA Championship.  My argument is not the choice of teams rather Smith making the decision.

The original story I read and communicated late in 2015 was incorrect.  The Heat can re-sign Hassan Whiteside the question will they?  Are they willing to raise his salary from the present $990,000 a year to as much as $20,000,000 a season?  That’s a great deal of zeros don‘t you agree?  Although Whiteside is not starting since his return from suspension he’s been a double-double man off the bench.

I said I wasn’t going to touch this story again however I must.  I continue to read and hear negative stories regarding Ben Simmons.  So he can’t shot, neither could Magic Johnson when he first arrived in the NBA.  With work on his shot he eventually became a good shooter from distance up to and including the 3-point line.  Simmons play at LSU might not be reflective of what might prevail in the NBA.  Duke’s Brandon Ingram is a better shooter especially from distance I’m not convinced he’s the better player.