Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Two notes
Changed my mind, the other day I indicated Words would return to a Monday, Wednesday and Friday publishing date.  For the time being it will continue to be published daily.  The NBA Playoffs similar to the NCAA Tourney far too many games to attempt updates on all the games.

Quiet please!!!
Didn’t want to say it too loud but ESPN.com is wrong!  The NBA page of ESPN.com April 18 stated; “50 years ago today Bill Russell took the reigns of the Celtics and thus became the first black coach in a major sport.”  Well that’s not exactly correct; Russell was preceded by another four years previously.  ESPN is mistaken if we look at the ABL the American Basketball League.  As mentioned previously the league attempted to rival the NBA but only lasted a short time.  They played the 1961-62 season and part of the 1962-63 season.

Among the teams were the Cleveland Pipers owned by George Steinbrenner who would later own the baseball Yankees.  Piper general manager hired John McLendon as head coach, McLendon had coached North Carolina College from 1941-52, 1953-54 he coached Hampton Institute.  From 1955 through 1959 he led Tennessee A&I (now Tennessee State).  His Tennessee team won three consecutive NAIA Tournaments while he was at the helm.

Technically ESPN might be correct because the ABL lasted only 1 ½ years however that’s not what history might say.  I failed to mention in November McClendon will be honored a second time by the College Basketball Hall of Fame.  The first time in 2006 it was as a contributor to the game later this year he will be enshrined as a coach.  The legendary McClendon died in October 1999 at the age of 84.

I tire of 
Media members who “get inside players head” and decide what they are thinking.  I’ve got news for those who chose this approach 99 % of the time they have no idea what they are talking about. Do they have opinions on the subject matter they are discussing I would say most certainly.  The error is to give you the impression they know what Joe is/was thinking is totally ridiculous.  All of us (including this writer) are guilty of formulating inaccurate or incorrect opinions on a subject or an individual.  

Decisions, decisions
I’ve expressed my concern regarding Laker Coach Byron Scott.  As this is written we have no idea if stays or goes.  Naturally a great number of rumors are circulating about the possibility of a coaching change for the franchise.  Decisions of any type cannot be made on “feelings” alone you must have solid proof yes or no on the matter or issue.  That’s the dilemma for me as I read reports of a coaching search.

A Laker fan website has tossed out the name Scott Brooks former Thunder coach should Scott be moved.  I cannot come up with or think a single negative though about this choice except I don’t have a good feeling about his coaching ability.  Naturally the Lakers are mum at this point on firing or retaining Scott.  I suppose if he’s hired I will repeat my past view, I believed Mike Brown, Mike D’Antoni and Scott initially were good hires.

"If I walk in a home and a kid disrespects a woman, his mother or grandmother, then I'm out....I want recruit them" - John Calipari