Sunday, April 3, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Invitation??
Did you know Frank Martin’s South Carolina team was to play in the NCAA Tournament?  On selection Sunday the NCAA sent a text message indicating South Carolina had been invited to the tournament.  It turns out this was an error, the text was sent incorrectly.  The NCAA contacted South Carolina later and issued an apology for the glitch.  You’d think a multi billion dollar organization would not make such a mistake, oh I forgot it’s the NCAA.

Nicknames
At the time Earvin Johnson was in high school a Lansing sports writer nicknamed him “Magic” based on his ability in handling a basketball.  Maybe this is where my former co-worker formulated his view, he once informed me; “You cannot give yourself a nickname somebody has to furnish it to you.”  LeBron James may not have been the first to cancel out this rule just the latest.  I mentioned this fact several years ago but let it go until today. Then again maybe ESPN is the only media outlet still using “King” when describing LeBron James.

This morning a host was to provide highlights of last night Cavs game, he began by saying; “King James.”  If my memory is correct I believe LeBron James bestowed the nickname on himself.  We have an obligation, there is one more player that’s about to commit this sin.  It’s been reported Heat center Hassan Whiteside leading the NBA in blocked shots is attempting to come up with a nickname.  Somebody in South Beach please inform Whiteside he cannot anoint himself.  Think I’m just picking on LeBron the same goes for Kobe Bryant and “Black Mamba.”

Big-Man crush
I believe in Warriors “small-ball” it won them an NBA Championship and it might this year too.  I’m old skool I continue to believe in Big-Man basketball.  I know what you are thinking the Warriors overwhelmed the Cavs playing small ball last June, you are correct.

Have you taken into consideration there was no Kevin Love or Kyrie Irving?  Enough about last season it seems a college or NBA team with a Big-Man should work on developing his game. Some have a tendency to drift out to the three-point line but that’s still okay.  My belief at some point they need to be in the middle guarding the paint and blocking shots.  I counted 12 prospects in the Class of 2017 6 foot 10 and taller so talent certainly hasn’t begun to shrunk in height. Despite what we tend to believe there is a number of Big Man camps spread throughout the nation.

Shaq has one so does Hakeem; although Pete Newell died in 2008 his camp is still in operation.  There is still plenty of opportunity for Big-Men to learn the game when they are 6-10 and taller. I continue to hold on to my Big-Man crush and I long for the return of dominant Big-Men.

Play them
Gregg Popovich has a history of “resting” players, most of the time I have no argument with the course of the coach.  It's been stated Popovich could care less about records which is okay too except in this instance.   After losing to the Celtics on Friday evening the Warriors have six games left on their schedule two of which are against the Spurs.  If the Warriors should break the Bulls all-time win record there will be cynics (like me) who will claim the record is tainted.  Is resting Spurs players against the Warriors a possibility---you better bet it is.