Monday, April 11, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

My mistake
The only Denzel I knew (not personally) until recently was actor Denzel Washington.  After I became aware of Michigan State all-everything guard Denzel Valentine I figured it was clear to everyone.  Mom must be a fan of the Academy Award winning Washington, turns out I was wrong it was Valentine’s dad.  Interviewed on television dad stated; "Denzel Washington has always been my favorite actor.” Who would have figured?

He speaks the truth 
Kobe Bryant said (I paraphrase) “There is nobody on the current roster to assume the role I’m vacating.”  Half of the people reading that type of statement would respond “Kobe is sure arrogant” while the other half would say; “Kobe speaks the truth.”  Count me in with the latter group; the 2015-16 Lakers are a collection of young talented athletes.  They have not been a cohesive unit in most of the games I’ve witnessed.  There are holes remaining to be filled maybe even a different coach however that that will be covered near the end.  Let’s explore the draft a moment; it’s not critical as some might lead you to believe. I’m no math major however it looks as though the Lakers might retain their pick.

If they should retain the position the question is where they fall in the draft order.  They could finish first, second or third however the number two and three pick might be based on who is chosen number one. Bare with me a moment unless the Lakers finish with the top choice their pick is based on who is chosen second or third.  If the Lakers maintain their pick they will choose Duke’s Brandon Ingram or LSU’s Ben Simmons or Dragan Bender from Macabbi Tel Aviv.  It does no good for the Lakers or any team to continue changing coaches.  The problem I have lost confidence in Byron Scott’s ability and based on the last several weeks a number of the players appeared to have as well.  Former Coaches Tom Thibodeou, Mark Jackson, Mike Malone, Kevin McHale and perhaps Jeff Van Gundy are seeking employment.  

She’s good
ESPN.com web page has video of Doris Burke bouncing the basketball with her right hand around her back while holding her phone and notes in her left hand walking back to the broadcast area in heels.  Too feminist for you, sorry if it bothers you and others for reasons too detailed to list a significant number of men have issues when women journey into our world.  In this instance I’m referring to women involved in telecasting men’s games.

As for Burke she’s got handles although she no longer plays the game competitively.  She gained skill in high school and later at Providence, after graduating she left the school establishing an all-times woman’s assist record.  Although her degree and Masters is not in journalism she’s become an adept at broadcasting. Burke began broadcasting the women’s games at Providence and later the men’s games.  Her broadcast resume is quite extensive involving the WNBA and NBA and college basketball serving as color analyst and sports reporter.

Bits n Pieces 
George Karl will soon be history as coach of the Kings; I’m not sure what could save his job at this point. The guy probably knows more basketball than me and 10 other people combined.  Although his coaching resume is extensive he doesn’t communicate at times with his players and front office.  As I indicated previously he develops issues with management and or his players.  A Denver radio station has reported “The Kings have asked Karl to resign on several occasions.”

I heard a comment on the NBA Draft and Oklahoma’s Buddy Hield in particular.  “He’s a little undersized for a shooting guard.”  I thought for a minute “Isn’t this guy 6-4”?  I checked and I am correct according to NBADraft.net a portion of his scouting report reads: “Measured 6‘4.5” in shoes with a 6’8.5” wingspan and 214 pounds at the 2014 Nike Skills Academy.”  In 2015 there were no significant changes except weight 215 pounds.

How about this rumor, 76ers are considering trading Jahlil Okafor in the off-season.  I stated awhile back I believed if Joel Embiid returned healthy somebody had to go because both guys are legitimate centers.  The 6-11 Okafor is a sturdy 275 pounds while Embiid is 7 feet and 250 pounds. Okafor finished the season at 17.5 points and 7 rebounds a game, we have no comparative numbers for Embiid he’s been sidelined since the 2014 NBA Draft.