Friday, April 15, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

“I did it my way“
The first line from the Frank Sinatra classic recorded in 1968 is;

And now the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I’ll say it clear
I’ll state my case, of which I’m certain

The next stanza ends with the words; “I did it my way.”  The final box score reads Lakers
101 Jazz 96 Kobe Bryant scored 60 points on 22-50 (44%) from the floor.  Leave it to Kobe to overshadow the Warriors who broke the NBA all-time win record the same evening.  It’s okay Kobe haters you won’t have him around any longer-----you’ll have to find another target for your vitriol.

They did it
Congratulations to the Golden State Warriors they did it they eclipsed the record, they won 73 games and only lost nine times.  In January or February Larry Laker stated the record established in the ‘95-‘96 by the Bulls would remain intact.  Sorry Warriors fans I missed this one however I’m not too proud to admit I was wrong.  In addition Warriors sharpshooter Step Curry takes a victory lap too.  402 three-point baskets in a single season when no one had made even 300 in a season.Curry would finish his record breaking performance with 46 points and 10-19 from the
3-point line.

????
P.E.R. or player efficiency rating is a measurement devised by John Hollinger of ESPN.  Checking players’ number at the end of the line is their P.E.R.  I understand it’s “John Hollinger’s all-in-one rating which attempts to boil down all a players’ contribution into a single number.”  Positives, (scoring, rebounding etc.) are taken into consideration along with negatives (turnovers, missed shots etc.)

A player with a 15 is a good player, 22.5 is an All-Star.  Players scoring 25.0 and higher are considered exceptional (weak MVP, strong MVP and runaway MVP).  I’m not attempting to be judgmental of P.E.R. however I question if it will come into common usage by all elements of the media rather than ESPN alone.  For guys who love numbers this is a perfect barometer for the rest of us---well.

Jack
A number of people are identified by one name, Madonna, Cher, Sting, Sade and Mr. T.  Okay technically Mr. T is not a single name but you get the idea.  If you say Lakers, Staples Center and Jack they belong as one.  Jack who you ask, Jack Nicholson a Laker season ticket holder since 1972.  Jack’s not abandon the ship yet, he remains a loyal fan of his team the Los Angeles Lakers.

Next?
I believe it was February when I stated Kings Coach George Karl would be fired any day, well that day has arrived.  Although I mentioned Karl has a propensity of falling out with coaches and front office this time it may not be all him.  I didn’t realize since the 2006-07 season the name plate on the coach’s door has been changed eight times.

We could look in a southern direction toward Los Angeles and the Lakers we could see a dysfunctional front office.  Journey eastward in the direction of Philadelphia and the 76er franchise we could find further evidence of a malfunctioning front office.  Although the team’s won-loss is superior to both the Lakers and 76ers the teams’ front office is just as chaotic.