Sunday, April 24, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Please can you do me a favor?
If you enjoy reading Words eye view can you recommend it to a friend or acquaintance?  I would appreciate it greatly.

Who is he trying to convince?
The Pistons Stanley Johnson has pronounced himself “The LeBron Stopper.”  Reminds me of a claim made during 2001 or 2002 by Reuben Patterson.  Patterson then a member of the Blazers anointed himself “The Kobe Stopper.”  I’m unsure if these two did this to stoke them up for the challenge or actually believed their words.

On the other hand maybe they were attempting to “get inside” the opponents head.  As for Johnson’s claim his Pistons are 0-3.  In the three games LeBron’s scored 69 points shot 29 of 59 from the floor along with 25 rebounds and 21 assists.  Patterson was never able to stop Kobe, make it more difficult for him to shot yes that’s likely.  I also remember several outstanding games played against the Kobe stopper.

It could take place
Wizards Coach Randy Wittman was fired after his team finished with a .500 record 41-41.  There were an abundance of name coaches mentioned but one of the names was a little surprising to me.  Because of his friendship with Kevin Durant former Thunder Coach Scott Brooks might be considered a good choice for the Wizards job.  Pending free-agent Durant is from the Washington D.C. region.  Brooks is a capable coach however his track record is a little suspect to me.

While having Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka as his first unit he was unable to raise the level of play to the championship level.  His 2011-12 team reached the NBA Finals but each year thereafter fewer and fewer wins.  Brooks was fired at the end of the 2015 season.  Was Brooks hired with Durant in mind?  I’m not going to claim any inside information however if Kevin Durant leaves Oklahoma City the Wizards might be on his short list but not the first possible stop.  
Bits n Pieces
I’m guilty I admit it; I have sometimes become mesmerized by YouTube highlights of basketball prospects.  I will continue to read valid scouting reports and not consider video the deciding factor in accessing talent.  As I mentioned previously AAU basketball highlights don’t often showcase skills required at the collegiate and especially the NBA level.  I believe Thon Maker has taught all of us a lesson.

This is interesting; I’m looking ahead to the Recruiting Nation Class of 2017 prospects.  The number three prospect Michael Porter Jr.’s school is about 12 minutes drive time to Mizzou Arena and Mizzou is not on his list.  Mohamed Bamba a 7-foot prospect from Harlem (N.Y.) and the number four prospect does have Mizzou on his list of perspective schools.  Harlem is 16 hours and 27 minutes drive time from Columbia (MO).

“I’ll be back” was the line above first uttered by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the first of a family of Terminator movies.  That line could also be utilized by Duke and Coach K.  Sure they lose Brandon Ingram to the NBA along with seniors Marshall Plumlee and Amile Jefferson.  The cupboard is not exactly bare Grayson Allen returns but Duke struck gold in the recruiting department.  Arriving in the fall will be Rivals number two prospect 6-10 220 pounds Harry Giles.  6-8 205 pound Jason Tatum and number three will be joined by 6-3 guard Frank Jackson number 10.  Also in the mix will be the number 41 prospect 6-8 215 pound Javin DeLaurier.  Several websites list Duke as either the number one or number two school in the 2016-17 pre-season poll.

Aren’t you tired of media members using the term; “my sources”?  The reigning King of this line has got to be ESPN’s Chris Broussard.  I’m reasonably sure Broussard’s parents love him, so do his wife and siblings.  I’m not sure if I do based on how often I’ve found him to be inaccurate in the past.  His latest; “I think Pau Gasol, Joakim Noah all could be moving on to different teams this off season.”  Of course it’s a possibility one or two maybe all three are history but with Broussard who knows.

"Hard works beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"-unknown