Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective 

Repeat offender
I believe the term “repeat offender” is still in usage in the criminal justice system.  Although not criminal in scope we could attach the term to Duke’s Grayson Allen.  You know the story earlier this season he was suspended for tripping an opposing player.  The suspension only lasted but one game I believe due to Coach K.’s surgery.  It’s likely (my guess) he didn’t want associate coach Jeff Capel to deal with the problem.  I figured with the suspension lifted Allen would be on his best behavior he is a talented basketball player.  In Duke’s game versus Notre Dame it appeared he stomp the foot of the player guarding him and pushed off.  I checked out the video 5 or 6 times and it’s not really clear to me HOWEVER in the case of Allen he should be walking on egg shells.  

He’s got a reputation now and almost anything questionable is going to go against him fair or not. Allen has gain a reputation for unsavory behavior on the basketball court, we can rest assured game officials monitor his play closer than others.  This is troubling behavior based on an incident last season and the suspended game plus Wake Forest and now this.  I’ve read several scouting reports indicating some view him as potential NBA prospect, if he tries some of the stuff we witnessed in the NBA wait just prepare for the after affects.  I stated at the time Coach K. lifted the suspension I believed Allen should be made to attend anger management classes this would not be an option.  If Allen failed to do so I’m the coach he’s dismissed from my team.  I realize you are just returning from surgery but Coach K. this is your call, the ball is clearly in your court.    

“I’m tired of biting my tongue”
The above headline was the end of a very toxic statement LeBron James made regarding Charles Barkley.  I certainly have no intention of embellishing it read it for yourself and make your own judgment.  

Retirement--you kidding right?
The 1998 NBA draft witnessed Michael Olowokandi as the number one pick that year by the Clippers.  You ask where he is now, but we could make the same statement about Rael LaFrentz the third pick.  The point both were drafted with a higher ceiling than the trio of that draft who continue.  We know the location of Vince Carter, Dirk Nowitzki and Paul Pierce they remain playing in the NBA.  The 39-year old Pierce is the only one indicating the 2017 is his last. 40-year old Carter and 38-year old Dirk have given no indication of their status for next season.  It seems strange now this trio continues to play while several others drafted before and after him have long since departed the scene.  

Champions
We are a long way from March Madness but how about a look back at past championship runs. Not only did the following teams win one championship they followed up with a second one.  In the day with players leaving early it’s likely we’ll never experience a back to back again.  The year is not listed however these Division I teams Oklahoma A&M (Okla State), Kentucky, San Francisco and Cincinnati won back to back.  The championship run of UCLA with 7 consecutive NCAA Championships will never occur again in history.  The last Division I champion team was the Florida Gators who were winners in 2006 and 2007.  

As for Division II back to back winners include Evansville (twice), Kentucky Wesleyan and CSU Bakersfield.  At the NAIA level Central Missouri (now UCM), SW Missouri State (now Mo State), Ft Hays State (KS), Oklahoma City and Life (GA) have won consecutive championships.  Tennessee A&I (now Tenn. State) and Kentucky State won three consecutive NAIA Championships.  Four of these schools mentioned have since changed their level of competition, Evansville and Missouri State moved from Division II to Division I, Tennessee State moved from NAIA to Division I and Kentucky State moved from NAIA to Division II.