Monday, July 31, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective                                                                                         
This is bothersome
I’ve mentioned my wife hardly follows basketball.  Despite this fact she was aware of the Las Vegas story and LaVar Ball.  I informed her and I’ll share with you my conversation. After Lonzo Ball had a good summer showing on the court I hoped LaVar news would slow. Instead of him slowing down everybody and their brother continues to place microphones and tape recorders in front of LaVar.  The view might be “how outrageous” can this guy become with his mouth. Muhammad Ali did a great deal of talking back in the day, history shows the “Louisville Lip” as he was dubbed usually backed up his bravado in the ring.  

What can LaVar prove at this point other than talk?  Despite what he says at his age he certainly can’t go on the court against Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson and effectively compete A better question might be why would it even be necessary for either they have nothing to prove we already know both are champions.  As for LaVar Ball that’s a far different story.  I hope all three of his son’s find success on the basketball court however daddy needs to shut his pie hole.    

They certainly are bigger (and maybe stronger)
Mizzou fans cannot help their excitement regarding the upcoming season.  The last few years the Tigers were often “beat up” on the boards.  Not only were they often out rebounded they were often out scored as well.  It’s hoped all the negatives will be stored away never to be re-visited again.  The Tigers have count them 8 players on the roster taller than 6-7, four of them stand 6-10 and I’m not including Jontay Porter in the count.  

The younger Porter has committed but yet to sign a letter of intent, by the way he’s 6-9. Junior forward Kevin Puryear has height (6-7) and bulk at 243 pounds but was often forced to compete against taller adversaries.  Puryear scored nearly 12 points a game his freshman and sophomore year.  The Kansas City area talent now has plenty of help. Height does not equate to wins all elements of the game must come together to be successful.  Now you can understand why much of the Mizzou Nation is so excited about the 2017-18 season.    

He’s a grown man
The last time I checked I believe Kyrie Irving is a grown man.  He’s an adult fully capable of making adult decisions.  Allow me to explain further, I didn’t read the story only the headline.  It read something like; “Kobe talks to Kyrie” or “advises Kyrie.”  My wife’s cousin the Kobe hater said to me; “How come Kobe’s talking to Irving trying to convince him to leave?”  

I laughed because I said at the beginning of this account Kyrie is a grown man.  I asked my wife’s LeBron loving cousin “What you gonna do next year when LeBron joins the Lakers.”  As I explained earlier I don’t won’t LeBron on the Lakers but his response was classic, the Kobe and Laker hater said; “I’ll root for the Lakers because of LeBron, “case closed. 

Charles Barkley too?
By now you’ve read or heard the reported rumor LeBron James is headed to the Lakers in 2018, same for Paul George I even heard Charles Barkley might un-retire.  This might be Barkley's last opportunity to win a championship.  Folks I’m just kidding about Barkley however I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear or read a similar report the media has every free-agent headed to the Lakers next season.  The reasoning varies but I’ll try to explain the names of those presented to us.  LeBron James returned to Cleveland, he led the Cavs to a championship.  A professional championship no one in Northern Ohio had witnessed since 1964.  

There’s been no love lost between owner Dan Gilbert and LeBron after all Gilbert made several ugly statements about LeBron after he departed.  You tell me I haven’t heard any talk since his return of he and Gilbert becoming BFF’s forever.  As for George he is Southern California born and bred, he grew up rooting for the Lakers.  We could see the attraction in playing in the NBA in front of any number of your former elementary and high school teachers.  George’s reasons might be different from LeBron but I ask the question is it that important to play in Los Angeles?