Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

Published Monday through Friday

BREAKING NEWS
As I was completing a portion of Words eye view this breaking news came across my television screen.  Owner Leslie Alexander has placed the Houston Rockets on the market.  How many potential owners will step forward is an unknown number.  According to Forbes the 2017 book value of the Rockets is $1.65 billion dollars.  The only condition placed on the sale of the team it must remain in Houston.  I’m curious to discover how long the Rockets remain on the market.    

“Must be the shoes”
Once again I’m walking back on a promise to myself.  I promised myself it would be Lonzo Ball’s play only I wouldn’t focus on the shoe issue and hear I go.  Ball has worn a number of shoes over the course of Summer League play.  First it was the BBB shoes by LaVar Ball then later it was the Kobes then Hardens and Currys.  

Nike, Adidas and Under Armour----on Sunday night Ball was sporting Jordan 31’s.  As for Monday night’s championship game a strained quad will keep Ball on the bench for the evening’s match.  This might be an effort on the part of Lonzo or LaVar to secure a shoe deal with one of the major manufactures.  As a side note the figures below represent shoe sales in the U.S. in addition the Jordan Brand is counted in the Nike sales total.  

*Nike 93%  
 Under Armour 4%
 Adidas 2.5%

*Courtesy Statista

Bits n Pieces
The latest issue involving Rick Pitino revives an issue which has bothered me for several years.  Athletes no matter the level must be retired before Hall of Fame consideration.  There is no requirement for coaches and we can point to several active coaches in the Hall.  North Carolina’s Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim Syracuse and Louisville’s Rick Pitino are just a few in addition to sterling won-loss records they also share trouble.  Trouble in the form of NCAA problems related to their programs.  The latest on Pitino echoes the theme aimed at Williams and Boeheim “lack of institutional control.”  

One of the methods teams improve is to infuse youthful talent into their lineup.  Unfortunately the Lakers draft history since 2010 has been rather spotty.  2010 was the last year the team won an NBA Championship.  From 2010 to 2013 the Lakers had no first round pick all the drafted players were chosen in the second round.  Considering Jordan Clarkson was a second round pick there are diamonds in the rough it just seems the Lakers swung and missed often.   

I’ve done it you’ve done we all have at points in time.  Made dumb or Inappropriate comments at times.  I’ve long voiced my opposition to several of the statements made by ESPN’s “Screaming” Stephen A. Smith.  That doesn’t say he’s always wrong and I’m always correct----opinions are just that entitled to the originator no matter how ridiculous they might be.  Don’t provide me “fact” that cannot be proven to be correct that’s the height of ignorance for me.