Friday, July 7, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

Published Monday through Friday

I need to listen----to ME!
As predictors of the future we cannot always be assured of where a team might finish we must wait for the season to unfold.  That’s been the story in my writing on a number of occasions. Despite what I say the team “I love to hate” the Clippers are very much alive.  I came to my original hypothesis based on Chris Paul leaving for the Rockets and I stated “It was all over for the Clippers.”  

I certainly wasn’t projecting a below .500 record however I believed at least two teams might finish ahead of them in the Western Conference.  I make this same statement regarding the Thunder; I didn’t expect them to be a player (LOL) in the Paul George sweepstakes.  He might only reside in Oklahoma a year however he’s there.  I’m going to take my on advice I need to listen to me.  

“Escape from New York”
Its 2017 not 1981, in our present day account Carmelo Anthony reprises the Kurt Russell the role in the classic John Carpenter film.  If you remember the movie the Snake Plissken character (Russell) had the task of rescuing the president from a gang of criminals.  This “escape” story is not violent although the scenario is somewhat similar.  

Plissken and Anthony wanted out of New York but for vastly different reasons.  I ask the question earlier how it might be possible for Anthony to leave for Cleveland or Houston.  ESPN now poses the same question; I only read the headline I did not wish to cherry pick portions of staff writer Ian Begley. After this is published on Friday I’m going to read his account and determine how near we are to agreement.  

Swaggy P.
Nick Young a.k.a. Swaggy P. was okay for awhile, instant offense whether starting or coming off the bench.  I saw several games where it appeared he couldn’t miss.  I also remember the classic game he shot in what he thought was a sure 3-point basket.  He turned his back on the basket and had this huge smile on his face the only problem the ball went half way down and bounced out.  Swaggy is now a member of the NBA Champion Warriors and will now demonstrate his shooting prowess in the Bay area, Good luck Swaggy. 

Opinions
Ever heard the old expression “Opinions are like rear ends everybody has one. “  Either that is the case of ESPN’s Mike Golic or his research folks are feeding him information.  On Wednesday the day after Gordon Hayward announced he was headed to the Celtics this paraphrases his comment. “Danny Ainge might not be finished (with moves) but they (Celtics) don’t have enough to get past Cleveland.  

If I were a betting person I would head immediately to Las Vegas and place a small wager on the Cavs to emerge from the east.  Notice two things, betting and small, Golic (or his research folks) fail to consider a couple of factors.  Despite having the best player on the planet the Cavs are one-year older.  In addition don’t count any revitalized team until they began play.  I’d like to ask Golic a question; did you expect the Cavs to finish in first place in the east for 2017?  The Cavs didn’t sure they beat the Celtics in the playoffs but the Cavs finished in second.  

Bits n Pieces
I check periodically to see if the Milwaukee Bucks arena under construction has a name yet. This is the age corporations and companies place their name on the front of sports stadiums and arenas throughout the nation.  The Great Western Forum in Los Angeles was among the first to be identified by a business name.  In 1967 the former home of the Lakers and Kings opened it was just “The Forum“ in December 1988 owner Jerry Buss sold the naming rights to “Great Western Savings & Loan” thus a name change was made. 

Larry Brown might be saying; “Don’t put out to pasture just yet “I’d mentioned the 76-year old former coach still wants back in the game.  If you remember the story he abruptly quit at SMU in July 2016. There were even reports he was vying for a high school coaching job at one point. This one is confirmed, Brown’s been named head coach of USA East Coach.  The team comprised of collegiate players will compete against several international squads beginning in early August.  

Dirk Nowitzki was not the first Euro player in the NBA he’s the best to date.  I mentioned this fact in conversation and someone said “What about Toni Kukoc?”  I said Kukoc had a good NBA career but it’s no comparison to Nowitzki.  Bet you didn’t realize the Bucks drafted him but the Mavs really wanted him and arranged a trade acquiring the future Hall of Fame athlete.      

I attempted to hang a nickname on James Hardin; those of us in the states are familiar with the travel commercials featuring a bearded man in a uniform.  The characters name is Captain Obvious which I applied to Hardin.  The nickname worked for awhile but I soon allowed it to die a slow death. ‘Screaming” Stephen A. Smith is not likely to soon be forgotten by me.  I’m sure the ESPN audio folks must constantly adjust Smith’s microphone to keep base on his volume.