Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

Published Monday through Friday

Guesswork
He might be willing but can it work?  ESPN is debating the possibility of Melo waving his non-trade clause for the Cavs or Rockets.  The Rockets have already given up a legion of players to land CP3 who’s left to trade?  Although it would appear the Cavs have more cards to deal who leaves them in this move?  

The Cavs certainly have a bunch of pieces unless the name is LeBron who else could be included? Love could be a possibility however the other pieces have far less value and are aged (by NBA standards). I have one disadvantage I’m not sitting in the GM’s seat of the three teams; I don’t have the ability to negotiate a deal.  On paper I cannot see how this works for the teams mentioned to add Melo to their roster.  If a trade is consummated I’ll return and admit I was wrong.

New home
After the Wolves traded combo Kris Dunn and point guard Zach LaVine I reasoned Ricky Rubio would no longer have anyone looking over his shoulder.  Later I read the Wolves were still attempting to trade the point guard, on Friday ESPN reported Rubio had been traded to the Jazz for a 2018 1st round draft choice. The Wolves then sign free agent Jeff Teague late of the Pacers to replace Rubio at the point, certainly he's a step up in the offensive department at the position.  Relief will now come from former Duke point guard Tyus Jones.  

Coaching
I once served as a coach for my son’s Cub Scout baseball team.  I don’t remember the specifics it’s been far too many years.  This I do remember the age of the kids meant there was little yelling if any and screaming by me.  When it came to my son I was his coach however I tried to treat him in the same manner as the others.

I know I probably didn’t because he was MY SON.  The question now becomes focused on the Clippers and Doc Rivers.  With that in mind I’m sure Doc Rivers is being honest with himself, he believes he treats Austin in the same manner he does other Clipper players.  Naturally the elder Rivers believes his own words and that is okay however I will believe what I believe.

Free-throw shooting granny style
He stands 6-6 and 215 pounds nearly the same height and weight of his famous dad.  His father had been an NCAA scoring champion during the time he played at the University of Miami.  The father would go to an ABA/NBA career that eventually led him to the Naismith Hall of Fame.  He would have five sons four of whom played in the NBA or had pro careers in Europe.  

The youngest brother finished his college career at Florida, like his dad he is a dead-eye free throw shooter. This youngest brother shot nearly an 89% his senior year of college.  Canyon Barry went un-drafted in June but is attempting an NBA career.  The youngest member of the Barry family will be in action playing for the Knicks Summer League team.  As for the free-throw shooting I failed to mention like his dad he shoots free throws granny style.  It looks unorthodox but it works, ask his dad Rick or maybe ask Canyon.

An exclusive club
The first NCAA Champion was crowned in 1939; consider there are 400+ Division I basketball teams spread throughout the nation.  Consider this fact in 78 years of basketball competition only 31 schools have won championships.  Leading the way in wins is UCLA followed by Kentucky and North Carolina.  Other schools winning are located below; they are not placed in any yearly order of winning.  Hopefully I didn’t miss any school and the list is a complete as can be.      

UCLA-11
Kentucky-8
North Carolina-6
Duke-5
Indiana-5
UConn-4
Louisville-3
Kansas-3
Cincinnati-2
Florida-2
Michigan State-2
North Carolina State-2
Oklahoma State-2
San Francisco-2
Villanova-2
UNLV-1
Utah-1
Ohio State-1
Stanford-1
CCNY-1
Oregon-1