Thursday, November 23, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

Bits n Pieces
For years it seems every time Kobe Bryant took a jump shot the haters would come from far and near.  "He shoots too much" or "He's too selfish".  Maybe the worst one "Nobody wants him as a teammate."  I found myself regularly defending number 24 (or number 8 if you prefer).  Despite their objectives Kobe is headed for the Naismith Hall of Fame.  Contrast that mindset with the legion of LeBron fans, every time LeBron does or says something controversial this is the occurrence.  I question the actions and all I hear are crickets. 

Check back next April at the time the nets are cut down.  Scott Gleeson USA Today Sports made his choice known for NCAA Basketball Champion.  It's the Wichita State Shockers, if this should occur I'm sure the entire state would be jumping up and down with joy with a number around Lawrence with a slight smile on their faces.  I speak of those Kansas fans living in a 100-radius of Kansas University. 

There is no requirement for the Sixers Markelle Fultz to rush back.  Drafted as a small forward Ben Simmons passing skill has been totally off the chain  On the other hand, maybe, Fultz might begin to worry a bit not about his injury but when healthy will he be able to get on the floor.  For you sports trivia fans look up the name Wally Pipp.

Celtics Coach Brad Stevens remains one of the NBA's young coaches at 41, do you realize he's been at the helm since he was 37.  The guy lives and breaths basketball and proved to all a small number can emerge from the college ranks and taste success a the NBA level.  The living basketball part of the story, Stevens on his first date with his future wife took her to a high school basketball game.  

People say the strangest things
I was talking to my son and I informed him I'd written a column detailing the strange statements I've heard echoed over the years about basketball. 

"I quit watching the NBA when Michael Jordan retired"-despite his Airness greatness he didn't invite basketball.

"They don't play any defense in the NBA"-proof the person rarely watches any basketball.

"I only need to see the 4th quarter" or "The 4th quarter is the best portion of the game"-How bout this I only watch the 9th inning of a baseball game or the 4th quarter of an NFL game.

Those are but a few of the strange and unusual statements made in truth by folks around me.  

The future
What does the future hold for Michael Porter Jr.?  The medical professionals indicate the type of back surgery is not career ending.  I've discussed with several associates as much as I'd like to see MPJr. return it is highly unlikely.  What about his NBA future, well he's dropped from first but the indication is he will remain a lottery pick.  As I pointed out earlier it is impossible to not decide in favor of an NBA career.  The prospect of riches beyond measure will be the overwhelming factor.  Would I like to see MPJr. return, of course but the back is the decider in this matter.