Sunday, September 23, 2018


Basketball from a fan’s perspective

He ain’t going nowhere
I’m not referring to Jimmy Butler rather his teammate for now center Karl-Anthony Towns.  ESPN.com is reporting the Wolves center has agreed to a 5-year $190 million extension.  Despite the turmoil existing with the team Towns is stating loudly he intends to remain in the Twin Cities.  As for Butler that might be a slightly different story as he is likely to be elsewhere.  
Optimism reigns supreme (I hope)
Yesterday this Mizzou fan wrote, “I hope I’m not being premature here or causing him to choose another school.  Rivals 4-star guard Mario McKinney is to make his choice known on Monday.”  Well 24-hours later I’m sporting a different melody.  I believe there is a 75% chance McKinney chooses Mizzou, as for E.J. Liddell his percentage is slightly lower in my view, I’m going to say there is a 50% chance he arrives at Mizzou.  On the other hand, I could be wrong about both, I sure hope I don’t have to publish a story on Tuesday about my failure as a prognosticator. Home being Illinois I could see Liddell picking the Fighting Illini; Ohio State is more difficult for me to visualize.  Before you Buckeye fans get upset I’m not trashing your program, just pondering maybe why.    
A day later
We read Wolves owner Glen Taylor is thinking about trading Jimmy Butler.  Butler is reported to have sat and talked with Wolves coach Tom Thibodeau in the same manner Kawhi Leonard did with Gregg Popovich.  Both situations are similar and at the same time different.  According to reports Leonard had issues with the Spurs medical staff, as for Butler it appears to be teammates or at least one.  This is a different age, its my belief the athlete has much of the power. 
If Butler or any other player decides they want to be elsewhere there is little an owner can do.  Trade the player prior to losing them to free-agency.  The baseball Royals experienced a similar issue, two players made no demands except payment.  Management believing, they could not sign them simply allowed them to walk away.  We are quite sure the Spurs wanted to keep Leonard, we are quite sure the Wolves want to keep Butler.  There comes that time when a tough decision must be made, the Wolves are at that point currently. 
The change
When I arose this September morning it was a brisk 50 degrees and the air is quite crisp, the forecast calls for a high of 78 today.  We are but a few hours short of summer turning to fall and eventually winter with its snow and ice and I’m only partially ready.  Fall and colder temperatures signal basketball season is not far off, at the same time I’ve got to confess I’m more comfortable with 80-degree weather.  Sounds as if Miami, Phoenix or Los Angeles might be a better fit for me. 
The cold Midwest winters of Kansas City never thrilled me anyway, snow and ice are not my best friends.  The weather impacts my travel as it does most, Columbia home of Mizzou is about 150 miles from here.  I can plan on a cold drive to attend a basketball game, as for a snow/ice drive down I-70 that’s a different matter.  Despite the weather issue I manage to survive after all this is not the frozen tundra of Green Bay.  Sorry Packer fans I had to toss that in, that was a line from one of the old NFL documentaries I once saw.  I’m certainly ready for some competitive basketball college and the NBA.